yeast pitching temperature, oops!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogbrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all, just made up my wilko Mexican cerveza, all went smoothly until I pitched and stirred the yeast without checking the water temp:-o checked straight after and it read 24deg, it says on the instructions 18-20, now will this affect my brew????

No. 24 is fine. I've put the yeast in at 30*C before now and it was fine.

Just try and lower the temp now down to 18-20.

I would get it cooled down as best you can 24 is way to high. You can get off flavours if you maintain this for 24/48 hrs.

Get it cool

Thanks guys, it's currently in the kitchen which is 18deg so will hopefully cool soon.

Hi all, just made up my wilko Mexican cerveza, all went smoothly until I pitched and stirred the yeast without checking the water temp:-o checked straight after and it read 24deg, it says on the instructions 18-20, now will this affect my brew????

Do you mean you chucked the yeast in wort at 24c or into water to rehydrate it?

Reading Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher he recommends rehydrating yeast around 30c+ from memory, though pitching into the wort at a lower temperature. I'm not sure if this is common practice (the 30c bit) - I've never rehydrated this warm before.

I was assuming the OP put the yeast in to the wort at 24C with the intention of cooling the wort down to 18-20.

Pitching temp is less important, within reason, than the initial ferment temp which is fairly critical for off flavours. So as long as the beer cools down before the yeast become properly active I don't see the problem.

At least that's how I roll.

How off are these off flavours? I pitched last brew at about 28 (needed sleep) thinking it would cool quickly in the conservatory overnight but it was still 24 in the morning and didnt drop the following day either. The sample 5 days on tastes lovely though. Yeast was S-04 and it was very active, massive krausen and big lumps swirling around inside the FV for a couple of days before packing down nicely.

Do you mean you chucked the yeast in wort at 24c or into water to rehydrate it?

Reading Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher he recommends rehydrating yeast around 30c+ from memory, though pitching into the wort at a lower temperature. I'm not sure if this is common practice (the 30c bit) - I've never rehydrated this warm before.

Yes, added the packet to the wort at 24c.. seems ok this morning, bubbling good...:thumb:

Greys is spot on 24 is to high. Best thing would have been to bin the yeast that came with the kit there ****. If you pitch the yeast at to high a temp you will get off tastes in you beer. You could even shock the yeast and kill it completely.

High fermentation temperatures not only give off flavours, they create the type of beer that gives you a hang over for lower quanties.

18 to 20 degrees or beer, colder for lager.

Latest posts

Back