Yeast Problems?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamlead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone else having yeast problems at all?
Reason i ask is so far this year i have had quite a few problems with dried yeast bought online from shops in uk and sent out to me in Turkey.
I have to do it that way as no other way to get stuff here but i am begining to think i am not getting the 'best' or the 'freshest' ? i am thinking i may be getting the stuff thats nearing its BBE dates or sell by dates ending this year in sept / oct etc. Obviously if i were in uk i would check i was getting decent 'in date' stuff but cant do this ordering online.

This year alone i have had about 5 failed starts from a tub of youngs super wine yeast compound and the other day a complete fail of a Nottigham ale yeast, i used another in the end and made up a starter with it and it now seems to be doing ok. I have also had failures using cider yeasts too.
Hopefully in the future i am going down the harvesting route so then i will know i probably will have decent viable yeasts, i have almost everything except AGAR now and once i get that i will start down that route. Also i have not gone down the liquid or smak pack route - as yet.
I also keep all my yeasts in a large biscuit tin in a cool place.
Just wondered what anyone else thinks or any advice??
Thanks
Scream :thumb:

While I live in the UK I do order yeast online from both UK and USA. I have not had the problems you describe. Although I don't use the Youngs Super Compound I do use other Youngs yeasts and again not had problems. I think that is going to be difficult to diagnose if the problem persits in different batches of the same yeast.

Back