Yeasty experimentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodrell

Reaction score
After a chat with a friend last week about the difference different types of yeast make to brewing I've decided to run a little experiment this weekend.

I've brought 6 5L demi-johns and 4 different types of yeast (to go with the couple I've already got) and am intending to brew this weekend then split the wort into the 6 containers and put a different yeast in each.

My question here is what type of beer is likely to show the biggest difference? My last brew was a nice light hoppy little number based on a Boddingtons recipe and the one before that was a much fuller Dark Ruby Mild....

Should I go with one of those or is there a better plan C?

I knew someone would ask that...I just brought a 'random' selection tbh...

I brought the following 4 recently,
Young's Ale Yeast Sachet 5grm
Muntons Premium Gold Yeast 6 grm
Danstar Windsor Beer Yeast
Danstar Munich Beer Yeast

and already have at home some Youngs Dried Active Yeast. I also thought I'd stick some bread making yeast into one just to see what a difference it makes!

It's a great idea - I have done with 2 yeasts side by side, but never 6. :thumb:

If it were me, I'd make something really middle of the road, some yeasts will favour / enhance the malt and some the hops so you want a bit of both in there.

Interested to see how the bread yeast goes as I remember making wine as a teenager with it and the wine tasting foul. The yeast was probably the least of my problems though.

I did 5 with about 4.5L in each in the end so I skipped the bread yeast I'm afraid...still, looking good so far (after 5 minutes at this point ;-)

5632310628_8fec534e19.jpg

Latest posts

Back