Young's A.A.A higher than stated ABV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks
Anyone ever had a higher than stated Abv kit?
I did brew short by 1 litre but can't see this making 2 units difference.
The kit says approx 5.4. but I did a OG Saturday to the reading 1.070!. Meaning if I get it on the SG they recommend for adding he dry hops at 1.015 I'll be looking at an over 7â„… beer.
I'm not too bothered but it's gone from a semi sessionable beer to a leave the family barbeque early type one.

Anyone had the same experience?

i just checked the o.g which was still on a sticker on the fv, the o.g was around 1063, i couldnt get it down to 1010, it was around 1014ish but was the same for a couple of days, after racking into another fv for an extra week it went into bottles and 2 recycled adnams ghost ship mini kegs.
so the OP isnt far off, i only added the brewing sugar supplied

(2nd attempt at a reply, edited my first cuz it was twaddle, glad i checked)

Last edited:
i did the youngs amber kit, bottled it a few weeks ago, when i measured it was as described, i didnt short brew it, went to 23 litres, tried 1 sat after nearly 3 weeks in the bottle, not bad at all even at this early stage, did you add both sugar bags supplied? i only added the brewing sugar bag and kept the other for bottling

No fellas I just used the fermenting sugar.

Bomberns
Can you remember the OG?

Hi folks
The kit says approx 5.4. but I did a OG Saturday to the reading 1.070!. Meaning if I get it on the SG they recommend for adding he dry hops at 1.015 I'll be looking at an over 7� beer.
I'm not too bothered but it's gone from a semi sessionable beer to a leave the family barbeque early type one.

a semi sessional beer even at 5.4% bloody hell!! lmao you must have practised a lot to get to that abv as a standard brew!

Right so according to brewers friend ur brews 6.4â„… . 1 unit higher. Strange.

I have done 4 Youngs American kits and every one of them has been over the stated ABV. This has also happened with the Bulldog Four Finger Jack.
All the other kits I have done have been at least 0.5% below advertised ABV.

a semi sessional beer even at 5.4% bloody hell!! lmao you must have practised a lot to get to that abv as a standard brew!

Yea prob poor judgement there. I had the California IPA in wetherspoons at 5.5 and did feel bit light headed.
I doubt I'll get it much lower. I'll be happy with 1.015.
I'm hoping the 10g pack of yeast is enough to do the job

Yea prob poor judgement there. I had the California IPA in wetherspoons at 5.5 and did feel bit light headed.
I doubt I'll get it much lower. I'll be happy with 1.015.
I'm hoping the 10g pack of yeast is enough to do the job

checked on youngs brewing instructions
American Amber Ale Below 1.013, in their words it is just a guidance SG so 1015 will be fine over 2 days

and i brewed to a 40 pinter as well

It's been a steady 19_21c for a few days. Which I'm happy about. The most critical days for flavour have passed. I may Crank it up a degree soon to get any sleepy yeast roused.
Did anyone raise the temp to the top end for this one say 23.5c?
I do a diacetyl rest but I think this could be a waste of time for ale

Hi folks
The kit says approx 5.4. but I did a OG Saturday to the reading 1.070!. Meaning if I get it on the SG they recommend for adding he dry hops at 1.015 I'll be looking at an over 7� beer.

Mine started off at 1052 .. finished up at 1012.. so pooped out at 5.25%

First taste of this one. 3 weeks in the fv, 2 weeks conditioning.
Mixed reactions. Firstly its strong, a tad too strong for me. But I've learnt the art of taking my time so this isn't a major problem now.
I was expecting a punch of aroma like the IPA but got a much milder aroma.i can't give any real description as the hops are new to me, one typefrom new Zealand and two from America, summit the only one I'm familiar with.
I'm gonna leave a couple in the fridge over night as the yeast unfortunately oozed out from the bottom of the bottle very easily, and if I'm not mistaken I've got a yeasty aftertaste instead of the flavour intended.
So I'll say early days still ( was concerned the hops would fade).
Did anyone else experience an unusual first taste with this one and did it improve with time?
Cheers

First taste of this one. 3 weeks in the fv, 2 weeks conditioning.
Mixed reactions. Firstly its strong, a tad too strong for me. But I've learnt the art of taking my time so this isn't a major problem now.
I was expecting a punch of aroma like the IPA but got a much milder aroma.i can't give any real description as the hops are new to me, one typefrom new Zealand and two from America, summit the only one I'm familiar with.
I'm gonna leave a couple in the fridge over night as the yeast unfortunately oozed out from the bottom of the bottle very easily, and if I'm not mistaken I've got a yeasty aftertaste instead of the flavour intended.
So I'll say early days still ( was concerned the hops would fade).
Did anyone else experience an unusual first taste with this one and did it improve with time?
Cheers
Give it time,.. last kit I did was this and I remember it looked like a urine infection after a few weeks.. after it settled down it had a decent grapefruit punch about it..

Nice description.
I'm getting the grapefruit now. Very piney. I think like you say I'll give it a couple more weeks.
Cheers covrich

Nice description.
I'm getting the grapefruit now. Very piney. I think like you say I'll give it a couple more weeks.
Cheers covrich

Yeah , Only ever did 4 beer kits myself but tried plenty and this was at the top I think.. once it conditioned a bit it was a nice pint and lasted so for many weeks..

I do think the kits with the dry hop have a sweet spot.. after the 3 month mark it started to fall off though as the dry hop decayed. But during that 1-3 month mark bottled it was a nice drop..

If you got yeast in your first sample yeah it will affect it, can happen to any beer you make.

Enjoy anyway:thumb:

Back