Youngs APA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Finally got round to making this last night. One big pouch of hopped extract + a bag of brewing sugar, should be quite strong, OG around 1.048. Hop pellets to add once the initial fermentation is more or less over.

Only downside with the big pouch was that I normally rinse them out with boiling water to get all the goodness, with this one a kettle full wasn't enough and then when it was full it was difficult to tip into the fermenter. Had to frantically seek the oven gloves.

It's also the first brew to christen my brew fridge which I'm quite excited about (sad I know). Sat a a steady 20 degrees this morning :D

Need another now so I can double up on brewing.

I'm bottling mine tonight. Had an OG of 1.053 and it came down to 1.011 and has stayed there since Monday when I added the hops, suppose that gives me an abv of around 5.6%, I just thought the SG was meant to finish a bit lower. The instructions say it should get to about 1.008.

This is my first kit so I'm hoping it comes out good.

Mine started at about 1.046 as I'd had a right mare getting the extract out of those pouches and so lost a bit......next time I think I'll pick the canned versions!.....fermented for around 12 days at a stable 20 degrees and came down to around 1.006

Had a sneaky peak at this last night as it will have been two weeks in the FV today. Still a bit of froth on the top though it started like a rocket and hit the lid of the FV so not surprising really.

Took a sample at it's sitting around 1.008 so ready for the next stage, will add the dry hops tomorrow night with a view to racking it into the PB on Monday evening.

Tasted fine but I'm hoping the hops and a few weeks conditioning will add quite a bit to the end flavour.

Well impressed with the brew fridge, it's held a steady temperature throughout especially given the recent run of cold weather and that it's in my unheated garage. On the hunt for another fridge now :D

I bottled a few smaller bottles for sampling. Opened one to check everything was going ok, since it was the end of the 2 week warm conditioning, and the beer was good enough to drink already. Amazing stuff, can't wait to try it again in a few weeks if it's going to improve beyond what it is now. Crystal clear already, great head retention and the hop aroma was just lovely.

IMG_4545.JPG

Looks / sounds good.

From what I've heard this is a beer to be drunk whilst it's still fairly young anyway. The hop characteristics get less with age.

I plan on getting started on mine probably about three weeks after racking off, two of which will be in the warm to prime it. It's going in the King Keg.

Aside from which I've ran out of beer so this can't be ready soon enough :D

Back