Young's Brew Bitter Starter Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fabolon

Reaction score
Hello brewers,

I have just started my first ever batch last night at midnight and now keeping it at a steady 20 degrees I would like to know what I can do to enhance the final taste of the bitter? It says I should leave it for about 4-6 days or until the hydrometer gives me three constant readings every day. Is there any sort of tips I could use to make it taste better?

Here is what I did.

1. Cleaned all my equipment with the Young's Steriliser.
2. Poured in the Beer Kit and the Hot Water.
3. Poured in cold water to get it to 5 gallons.
4. Waited until the temperature read 20 degrees. (Tool about 8 hours as it's bloody hot here)
5. Poured in the Yeast stirred it into the Mix and then put the lit on top.
6. Now keeping it in my bucket with cold water and the fan is blowing on top where I also places towels to keep it between 18-21 degrees.
7. I do check every hour to keep the temperature right.

So what are your ideas for me to keep it all good going? And how long should I leave it for?

Fabian

I used this one for my first kit also, all i can say with limited experience is leave it at least a week in the primary fv, Checking it every now and then is ok but try to do this as sparingly as possible so not to disturb the c02 layer covering your beer. You can then either tansfer it to a 2nd fv for a week or two, or just bottle or keg it using the sugar to prime 85g to 40 pints for batch priming or 1tsp ( i think) per 500ml bottle.Oh and just relax and dont worry, it takes quite alot of mistakes to make a really bad brew.

My opinion of the youngs kit was ok, i was impressed for my first brew and in my opinion as least as good as a best bitter you buy over the bar.It is possible to dry hop in a the 2nd fv but what hops and for how long i have no idea.
At the moment i am trying coopers stout with 1kg of brewing sugar and 1 jar (450g) of H&B malt extract, So there is always options to "doctor" your brew.

HTH Glen

Latest posts

Back