Youngs Tapered Wine Corks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woppa30

Reaction score
This is a numpty question but if I don't ask, its potentially going to be a bit of a mess.... :?:

My first foray into bottled involved "Youngs Wine Corks" which were silicone treated and the pack specifically said NOT to soak. All went well this this lot.

My second bag is "Youngs Tapered Wine Corks". It says nothing about silicone treatment or soaking (or not...)
The first six that I used I saoked in sulfite solution for a while before insertion which was very easy. I stored them on their side i na wine rack and some of them "seaped" to the outside (top) of the cork and some even started dripping onto the floor (terrible waste....)
I do re-use wine bottles, including some that were screw tops in a previous life

Does anybody have any experience of these, am I doing something terribly wrong?
Thanks in advance,
David

While we wait for somebody who knows what they're talking about...
Are the corks pushed all the way home?
I /think/ I've heard some screwtops are a slightly larger diameter to standard bottles.

I have some tapered corks but they seem smaller than standard anyway, I use them for sealing sanitised empties that have no lip to take a plastic cap. Never used them for anything full.

They went home very easily, I use a plastic corker and it shoves them home well, especially with 16st on top of it.

Everywhere I have seen tapered corks sold they are indicated as been for recorking open bottles or for temporary storage and specifically say not for long term storage.

Latest posts

Back