Young's Wide Neck Wine Fermenter 25 Litre question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guzzie

Reaction score
hi
I have a youngs 25L wide neck fermenter which I am about to use for the first time. A sticker on the fermenter says "Important to facilitate sealing use petroleum jelly on cap thread and O ring". Do I really need to do this to make a good seal or is this overkill? Thanks

hi
I have a youngs 25L wide neck fermenter which I am about to use for the first time. A sticker on the fermenter says "Important to facilitate sealing use petroleum jelly on cap thread and O ring". Do I really need to do this to make a good seal or is this overkill? Thanks
It is needed to lube the o-ring and I have two of them and use vaseline but any food grade lubricant will be good.

Thanks for the info. I take it you just lube the O ring and don't worry about the cap threads.

Also how often are you replacing the O ring - every brew - every 5 brews?

thanks
Guzzie

Thanks for the info. I take it you just lube the O ring and don't worry about the cap threads.

Also how often are you replacing the O ring - every brew - every 5 brews?

thanks
Guzzie
Had them for about 4 years and never replaced.Remove and wash after each brew and relube and they'll last for ages..No call to lube the threads but just ensure the lid is cleaned each time as well as the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back