Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BerkshireBadger

Reaction score
I've been having an odd day today - got a new 10l bucket and needed to do something with it - some people might say I'm mad but I just had to do this...

They say you can make wine from practically anything... :twisted:
P1010563_zps7e648496.jpg

Chop them up then add some chopped raisins and a handful of flaked almonds...
P1010566_zps4a84f9d2.jpg

Add boiling water and you have sprout soup - the first step towards my sprout wine! :thumb:
P1010567_zps1f977871.jpg

So far it's made from 2lbs 8oz of shredded sprouts, 5oz raisins, 2oz flaked almonds, 1 tsp pectolaise and a crushed campden tab. Boiling water poured over along with a mug of strong tea. Then 3lb 4oz sugar stirred in and dissolved.

I'm going to leave it until tomorrow to take an og reading. Then I'll slice in a lemon and a couple of oranges to raise the acidity. Add a tsp of nutrient and a sachet of yeast, stand back and laugh maniacally! :rofl:

Any thoughts? :hmm:

I racked it off the sprouts into a demijohn this morning.
P1010573_zps80e4837a.jpg

It smells quite nice and doesn't taste unpleasant - which I'm treating as a good sign! :thumb:
SG is down to 1.070 so it's already made it to a smidge over 5% abv

Now I need to brave the snow to add the leftover bits of sprout to the compost bin!

I'm actually looking forward to the end result now! :grin:

Sorry about the lack of updates. I haven't been online for a few months - my brewing and winemaking had to be put on hold because of other commitments...
The sprout wine still hasn't cleared so I racked it into another demijohn this morning. SG is now at 0.992 giving a current abv of 15.9% (calculation adjusted to allow for for high abv). The scary thing is - I don't think it's finished fermenting! :shock:

At the moment:
Looks - cloudy. Smells - slightly sprouty (not overpowering). Tastes - not unpleasant (a bit harsh but that might clear over time).
I've returned it to the back of my brewing cupboard - where it can stay for another six months to a year before I'm brave enough I look again! :roll:

Latest posts

Back