My Fermentation / Beer Fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProjectBeer

Reaction score
This hobby is too addictive, I've just gone and set myself up with a temperature controlled fridge to use as either a beer fridge or a fermentation chamber.

I spent some time hunting around on ebay and found a nice display fridge for £36.

I cleaned it out and gave it a once over with some black spray paint as it had scuffs and paint marks on it.

I then bought an STC 1000 and a tubular heater off Amazon, then took a trip down to Maplins to pick up the following:

Plastic Box MB5
Mains Plug
2 x plug sockets
5 metres of 3-core mains cable (2m for the main power lead, 1m each for heater/fridge plug sockets. Remaining cable was stripped and separated out for internal wiring in the box)
15A terminal blocks
Cable ties

I cut out holes in the box with a drill and a file (I don't own a dremel so this took a while). Followed the instructions on the video below:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30TvX1Zz1-Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30TvX1Zz1-Y[/ame]

I built a small ledge for the FV to sit on. Turns out the guy measured the fridge wrong when I asked for dimensions as my FV barely fits in...may switch to a glass carboy at somepoint as I think they are thinner.

Currently it's chilling my 1st batch of homebrew down to 8C :)

Photo 10-05-2015 11 32 42.jpg

Photo 17-05-2015 18 41 01.jpg

Photo 18-05-2015 16 55 59.jpg

Photo 18-05-2015 18 41 05.jpg

I recently acquired a very similar fridge from a friend who was binning it. So I got it for free, all works ok & even has an internal light (oooo pretty) so I'll follow your example and then hopefully be able to make lagers too. Great post

I took the light out of mine as I've put it next to the TV and having a light switching on and off when the fridge is cooling is annoying.

I've had a play around with the settings as I've noticed it switching on and off a little too often for my liking. I've got it set to 8C with a 1.5C swing and a compressor delay of 5 mins. Seems to be doing the trick! Just cracked open a bottle from the fridge and it's quite pleasant :)

I've switched it to cold crash my black IPA on Saturday evening and I'm going to bottle tonight. I set the controller for 2.5C. I wasn't sure if it could get that low, but it does and it's working like a treat!

Latest posts

Back