£26k annual cap on benefits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree in principal, but let's not get carried away that those on benefits are all getting such high amounts. Most of this will be housing benefit being paid to rip off landlords.

The pill is cheap in fact its free maybe some of those that this is about (5or more kids) should use em and others that really need help could get more (my taxes are killing me )

Most of this will be housing benefit being paid to rip off landlords.
That's because the councils are too busy selling off their housing stock and not replacing it with new builds...it's a situation of their own making :roll:

bobsbeer said:
I agree in principal, but let's not get carried away that those on benefits are all getting such high amounts. Most of this will be housing benefit being paid to rip off landlords.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I can't put Into words how much I agree with this!

Im 26 and never been without a job since I was about 12. The fact that some people don't work and get benefits is a total joke. I'm not saying that they shouldn't get anything if you have paid into the system you should get looked after till you get back on your feet. But there are too many people who don't get a job because they either are a lazy so and so, or they ( here's the controversial bit) don't try hard enough, if you look hard enough you will find something.I do have a good job at the minute but if for some reason I lost my job I would do literally any job. I wouldn't want the stature of not being able to look after myself without help.

I have a very close relative who is 30, never had a job in her life. Now I can give her the credit to have brought up a kid but she has no intention what so ever to get a job now the kids at school. Just stays at home every day being a drain on society because she would be worse off if she got a job on minimum wage. This is bonkers, people should be encouraged to go back to work and put into the system

As for the 500,000 people who are on benefits who have either

+ come to the country to work and not found it,
+ to study and not gone back
+ or for family reasons

How they are entitled to anything is beyond me.

Now I hope I havnt offended anyone I'm just trying to give my opinion, so to make it brief. If you are a honest working person who looses their job you DEFINATLY deserve some help, but if you have no intention or are not trying hard enough to get a new job (its down to you to ask yourself) you do not deserve a penny. Especially if you have come from another country and never paid anything in

Many thanks for reading my long rant

It seems these days that it's a "lifestyle choice" for some people, fit and able, to choose to live on benefits rather than work/make a contribution to society. My parents' generation would never had stood for it and I don't quite see why we should allow them to see this as a viable option.

simonkidder said:
As for the 500,000 people who are on benefits who have either

+ come to the country to work and not found it,
+ to study and not gone back
+ or for family reasons

How they are entitled to anything is beyond me.

Now I hope I havnt offended anyone I'm just trying to give my opinion, so to make it brief. If you are a honest working person who looses their job you DEFINATLY deserve some help, but if you have no intention or are not trying hard enough to get a new job (its down to you to ask yourself) you do not deserve a penny. Especially if you have come from another country and never paid anything in

Many thanks for reading my long rant
This is my main gripe about it all, thought the Tories would av nipped this in the bud long ago..

I know of a family with around 5 kids and they get all their ironing done F.O.C and a few hundred a week to pay for SKY and have takeaways delivered every other night and taxi's to take then to the local shops for ciggies!!

BEAT THAT!! :evil:

It appears that it is only liberal and labour piers and the bishops who are opposed to this oh and those getting these high levels of benifits.

Now I am not opposed to the welfare state however it should be there to help people back on their feet or for those who cannot work because of genuine disabilities. However it shouldn't be a career choice or a god given right, the world doesn't owe anyone a living.

Something needs to be done so that you are not better off out of work than in and if that means cutting benifits then so be it.

A bloke in my local who has been on the dole for about fifteen years has had to get a job, think it was for no more than 16 hours so he didn't lose his benefits and he got a £600.00 bonus for getting a job, :wha: Might as well go on the dole then it would seem I could afford to spend all the day in the pub like they do in our local :x

graysalchemy said:
Something needs to be done so that you are not better off out of work than in and if that means cutting benifits then so be it.

:clap: Couldn't agree more mate, the whole system is wrong

all benefits are too easy to fraud its redicilous, we can all do it if we want the only thing holding us back is decency and there are too many people that cant respect what the benefit is for. something has to be done

in 26 also and have always worked sins i could hold a spanner thanks to a good dad i have claimed job seekers for about 4 months of my life so far but if i couldnt get work i would move and find the work so i have done something about it, if so meny lazy people in the country didnt claim I could have been geting propper money in times of hardship istead of the 40 crappy quid id get to pay me rent and buy enough pasta to get me through the week.

There's two separate issues here...long term & short term unemployment.

If I lost my job next week then after 20 years of paying my NI I think it's reasonable that I get benefits at a good level. Years ago I worked for a short time in Denmark where they pay massive levels of tax, but if you lost your job I think they got 6 months at full salary from the government. If I had loads of kids then this could be over 26k and that would be fair enough.

if I then decided that this was the sweet life and I was going to do bugger all for the rest of my life that's when I deserve to be capped.

The problem in the Lords today is over kids, the governments own figures are that this cap would put 100,000 more kids into poverty. It's a Catch22 situation It's wrong to penalise kids because of the actions of their parents but if you pay the benefits the kids don't necessarily have a better life anyway because the parents are wasters and spend it on booze & fags. Get it wrong by screwing up the kids and you create the next generation of the problem but no-one has an answer.

I'd like to see people carrying out a couple of days a week of voluntary or community work a week (with travel expenses paid) to get their benefits once they've been out of work for more than 6 months.

Dave1970 said:
the governments own figures are that this cap would put 100,000 more kids into poverty.
The issue is also the definition of poverty . . . is someone impoverished because they don't have a 50" plasma, and the latest computer consoles? . . . In that case my kids are impoverished.

Single mother friend of She late 20's done odd jobs but been on benefit since leaving school but has 3 kids all of school age, Rent Paid, new laptops, 50" plasma, X box, Sky TV, plenty of cash to spend on booze, fags and weed. Doesn't work because it only gives her £10 a week more than the benefits . .. Sorry but that is just wrong.

We need government run/subsidised crèches so that parents can invest time in looking for a job (how about childcare in a government run crèche ;) ), and two days a week can go and do the really boring jobs that benefit the local community . . . say Litter picking (No it's not a violation of their human rights, it's giving them some dignity for the benefits they recieve) . . . Then when they get a Job, Phase out the benefits, not cut them off. Get them into work and contributing to the tax system.

One of the reasons the bill got defeated was because opponents wanted the child benefit portion removed from the 26K. When you consider that someone earning 80K will still get child benefit it does seem unfair that those on 26k wouldn't get it.
Of course all this does is highlight the need for a radical total overhaul of the entire benefit system.

The dole over here is almost twice that of the UK, if you are from another country and your on the dole we will give you cash for your kids which are still in that other country, they need never have put a foot on Irish soil. It's no wonder we are broke.
My world fell to ***** a few years ago, no income for a few months, worked all my life and never needed help, I went to find out if I could get some, €16 a week, cos I am self employed. To say the least I was rather anoyed.
I believe it should be on a sliding scale
Loose your job - 6 months dole after this time if you still have nowt 6 months 1/2 dole, still nowt, pull your finger out cos your now on 1/4 dole.
I'll probably be shot for saying that.

It's disgusting that there are people out there that are too lazy to get off their back sides and work, I also don't like the fact that there are people out there who keep breeding or make up disabilities to get even more of a hand out, often making more than many people who work!

I dont have an issue with benefits if there are used correctly, as someone already pointed out, what I don't like are these house holds where you have 2 or 3 generations milking the tax payer... I could go on and on, but I wont. What ever happened to the days where you actually had to work for a living... It does make me wonder what all the people that fought and gave their lives in the wars would say if they knew how this country was going to turn out

As I type this I'm at work I'm WISHING was on £26,000 net income per year!! :twisted: :twisted:

BB :(

You do have to go out to work so that we can pay for those on benefits.

One of the other problems with the benefit system is the likes of you and I work to pay a mortgage for a house we will eventually own and we try and save money for our old age or so our kids can have a bit of a start in life. If you are on 26k of benefits there is no incentive to save for your future and pass on a legacy to your kids as a result when they become adults they have no incentive to work. I take home less than 26K a year but I do own my own house and manage to provide for my kids and save money.

Its not just about how much you earn or are given by the state but you expectations and aspirations, if you give someone a disposable income without having to earn it or respect where it comes from then they will spend it and when it runs out they will be asking for more.

That is what needs to be changed they need to respect what they are being given and respect themselves and if this means a bit of short sharp shock for a generation then so be it society as a whole will be better off.

Back