15 min cities

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all , after reading this article I thought it would be good to hear your take on it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66990302
My understanding was that as a car owner you could only be allowed 15 mins to pass though a zone in a city or be fined. However it's reported that it refers to everything you need being within 15 mins of you LIVING in a city if you walk cycle or use public transport.

Now in Swansea my nearest city that is a no-brainer but live 6-7 miles from the city centre I suppose it depends on the definition of a cities outer limits.

What am I missing here?

as I understand it the position is as follows:
- the principle of the 15 min city is that everything you need is within a 15 min walk or cycle of where you live. so it is not quite the same as being allowed 15 mins to pass through a zone as you say above.
- the controversy has been that in some places (eg Oxford) the proposal is to accompany that policy with "traffic filters" that would require drivers to apply for council permits to cross certain boundaries on certain roads, with a presumption that only 100 such crossings are allowed per year.

as I understand it the position is as follows:
- the principle of the 15 min city is that everything you need is within a 15 min walk or cycle of where you live. so it is not quite the same as being allowed 15 mins to pass through a zone as you say above.
- the controversy has been that in some places (eg Oxford) the proposal is to accompany that policy with "traffic filters" that would require drivers to apply for council permits to cross certain boundaries on certain roads, with a presumption that only 100 such crossings are allowed per year.
ah, great explanation. athumb.. - how could you call a city a city if it didn't have those attributes? - depends on how much urban sprawl is classed as part of a city I suppose.🤔

So if house A is 15mins from library and house B is 16mins away does that mean house B can't go or will they need a bike' what they really mean is you won't need a car

So if house A is 15mins from library and house B is 16mins away does that mean house B can't go or will they need a bike' what they really mean is you won't need a car
It that case it's common sense wrapped up in fluff unless cars are forbidden or restricted for undertaking that journey.

Its just another money making exercise watch this to the end.

If you make more than a set number of journeys in the area you will be fined.

The people of Biggleswick are not having it!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back