1st time pizza making

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artyb

Landlord.
Reaction score
Home made rustic pizza ….
Flour water yeast oil
Allow to prove for an hour

tomato sauce . plum tommys ,blitzed added herbs and black pepper ,and reduce for 20 mins
[htc pink,is not the true colour]

rolled out dough, and toppings

thin crust ,cheese,onion, basil

thicker crust ,
bacon, chorizo,cheese,chillies and onion

thin crust cooked …

thicker crust cooked and cut

they were quite different ,the thin one was crisp ,and the thicker one was light and soft.. they were ‘’gone in 60 seconds’’…

Looks great, I've been cooking them for a while. Much better than shop-bought or takeaway .

We have been making pizza's for the last few months and really enjoy them, much better than any we can buy. When I say 'we' I have to make the dough & sauce and they (wife & kids) get the pleasure of adding their own toppings :lol:

Here is one of my first, i'm getting to perfect the art of tossing the dough to make it round & thin.

Excellent :D

Don't use the cheap 'value' mozzarella, it'll turn your pizza into a bog. Yours look (and I bet tastes) great.

What flour?

I make three all the size of the above.

I use a recipe in Paul Hollywood's book for the dough, however this recipe on the BBC website is the almost identical. FYI 30ml of oil is 2 tbsp, and I would leave it to rise between 1-2 hours, depending how much time I have. Finally, when I have created my 3 dough balls I flatten them with the heels of my hands then my fingertips to expel the air. :thumb:

Yeah! Bloody hell I'm hungry now too.... :roll:

They look great!

Can I suggest that, if you are after true authentic Italian pizza, you try using "00" flour rather than strong bread flour. The results are amazing. You can get "00" flour from Waitrose and (I think) Sainsbury's.

500g of 00 flour
5 g yeast
8 g salt
320 ml of cold water
2 tablespoons of olive oil.

Once the dough is mixed (a bread maker is fine for this), split it into 4 smooth dough balls, put them on a tray and cover with a thin film of olive oil and put a bowl over them. Leave them like this in the fridge for 3 hours.

Then decorate and cook as normal. They should only need 10 mins in the hottest oven you can get.

The rest in the fridge is not essential, but improve the flavours.

Enjoy.

Reactions: NPi
Try making your own mozzerela next, its not tge easiest cheese but its not to bad.

Looking good - I haven't made pizza for many years but used to do them quite regularly. I always used a decent passata for the tomato sauce rather than reducing tinned tomatoes - saves a bit of time standing in front of the stove and the leftover can be used the next day as the basis of a pasta sauce.

I'm encouraged to have a dad and daughter session in the kitchen making some pizzas. Should be fun.

Dave

If you regularly make pizza, an investment in a pizza stone will pay dividends. Could be a good pressie for SWMBO. :thumb:

I went out for a pizza on Saturday night, as much pizza, chips and beer (or coke) as you could consume all for €10, about £8 in old money. Me and the wife got our monies worth, not sure all the children did though. :clap:

I always put a fair quantity of powdered fennel seeds into my ragu... it turns it into an amazingly powerful and flavoursome sauce which gives any spicey sausage toppings something extra.

Don't know if I would go back to pizzeria takeaways now.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done everyone! Homemade pizza is the bomb. It's so simple and so tasty, one of those things (like beer and bread and chutney and jam and hot cross buns and crumpets and cakes and probably cheese but I'm resisting that temptation manfully...) that when you've made your own you just have to keep making it!

Nice work. :thumb:

I make homemade pizza a couple of times a month always a winner in our house. I use a sourdough base but basically I use half and half of strong bread flour and cheap as chips general purpose flour. I also do this with baguettes as well. Seems to work for me. :thumb:

For my tomato base I use a small onion and a few cloves of garlic sweated down, then add tin of plum tomatoes and some oregano and reduce it by half. I then blitz it up to a smooth paste and cool.

I tried making my own Mozzarella the other week but I failed big time. :evil: :evil:

Hheheheheheh we're back on to the 2nd fav subject :D or anything with yeast.

calumscott said:
probably cheese but I'm resisting that temptation manfully...

As well as the ploughman's challenge Calum we could also do the Pizza challenge making your own cheese as well :whistle: :whistle:

Though I think we would have to do it in outdoor wood fired ovens as well :lol: :lol:

graysalchemy said:
calumscott said:
probably cheese but I'm resisting that temptation manfully...

As well as the ploughman's challenge Calum we could also do the Pizza challenge making your own cheese as well :whistle: :whistle:

Though I think we would have to do it in outdoor wood fired ovens as well :lol: :lol:

It's going to take me about 9 years to build all the kit I need! The wood fired bread oven, the tandoor, the hot smoker, the cold smoker, the brewery proper...

graysalchemy said:
For my tomato base I use a small onion and a few cloves of garlic sweated down, then add tin of plum tomatoes and some oregano and reduce it by half. I then blitz it up to a smooth paste and cool.
Pretty much identical to what I do :thumb:

Back