4 Week Primary Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambanks

Reaction score
I have done two AG brews, but due to work/family commitments i didn't have the time to spend a day doing another until my weekends become mine again. So i decided to do a Wherry kit just to keep my interest alive. Unfortunately the fermentation went slower than expected and i ended up having to go work abroad for a month, just as the FG was getting near. SWMBO was not impressed when i said she could bottle it for me, so unfortunately it has been sat there in the loft for 4weeks in the fermenter :(

I'm wondering is if this is now destined for the drain? Or has anyone bottled a brew after this long in the primary?

It’s a real shame because the 4 weeks i have been away would have been a nice start to the conditioning process

jamesb said:
Just get it bottled, should be fine.

I agree.
Have a quick sniff though first....just to be sure. Your nose will tell you if it is a waste of time bottling it.

ATB

I'll give it a smell when i get back next week, Will there be enough yeast to carbonate or will it have dropped out of suspension, i have some more i can reseed with if need be, couple of grains per bottle?

I've done four Wherry kits now and for the last two I didn't even look at them for three weeks - similar thing, busy life and all :)

There's no problem leaving a fermentation for this long. It can't go off through oxidisation as it's sitting under a blanket of CO2. I suppose it must go bad eventually but I'll bet the time it takes will be pretty substantial. I assume the trub starts to rot after a while, or something? Someone knowledgable will be along soon :D

I've read people leaving their beers for over six months in the FV, re-seeded with yeast when bottling and have reported no sign of autolysis :wha:

Sean_Mc said:
I've read people leaving their beers for over six months in the FV, re-seeded with yeast when bottling and have reported no sign of autolysis :wha:

Whereas I've lsot a batch before due to autolysis. Horses for courses.

Back