Will my beer last like this in fermenter? Risk of infection?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry454

Reaction score
I’m honestly pretty new to this whole beer thing having brewed wine for many of years.

For me, fermentation ending would mean adding in a nice dose of campden tablets and potassium sorbate to keep the brew fresh while it clears for up to a week. Obviously this isn’t the case with beer as we don’t add preservatives.

I finished fermenting 4 coopers Mexican cerveza kits in one of my 100 litre fermenters. I made it with 6kg of liquid malt extract for a finished ABV of 6.5%. I racked it off the sediment into another one of my 100 litre fermenters today. I bottled 40 litres leaving me with 60 litres in the 100 litre fermenter.

I’ve added finnings A and B to try and clear the beer before I keg into 3 x 19l corny kegs and force carbonate.

My question is will the 60 litres of 6.5% beer stay safe from bacteria in the 100 litre fermenter over the weekend for it to clear? Say 3-4 days? I realise the fermenter has a lot of headroom and the beer contains no preservatives unlike a wine would!

I’m honestly pretty new to this whole beer thing having brewed wine for many of years.

For me, fermentation ending would mean adding in a nice dose of campden tablets and potassium sorbate to keep the brew fresh while it clears for up to a week. Obviously this isn’t the case with beer as we don’t add preservatives.

I finished fermenting 4 coopers Mexican cerveza kits in one of my 100 litre fermenters. I made it with 6kg of liquid malt extract for a finished ABV of 6.5%. I racked it off the sediment into another one of my 100 litre fermenters today. I bottled 40 litres leaving me with 60 litres in the 100 litre fermenter.

I’ve added finnings A and B to try and clear the beer before I keg into 3 x 19l corny kegs and force carbonate.

My question is will the 60 litres of 6.5% beer stay safe from bacteria in the 100 litre fermenter over the weekend for it to clear? Say 3-4 days? I realise the fermenter has a lot of headroom and the beer contains no preservatives unlike a wine would!
Finished beer has a few things going for it, low pH, ethanol and the anaerobic atmosphere in the fermenter. But it doesn't discount all of the spoilers, there are a few which will thrive in the same atmospheric and anaerobic conditions. Maybe put some CO2 into the fermenter for a bit more peace of mind.

Last edited:
I'd be a bit worried about leaving it in the fermenter like that. The yeast has finished fermenting all of the sugar and now you've introduced 40L of air into the fermenter. This will diffuse into the beer and start spoiling it. Even if you got it out of the fermenter after 3-4 days, the oxygen will have dissolved into the beer. There's a fair chance this could turn into vinegar.

I'd suggest bottling or kegging it like Rod says. It'll clear in the keg.

I'd be a bit worried about leaving it in the fermenter like that. The yeast has finished fermenting all of the sugar and now you've introduced 40L of air into the fermenter. This will diffuse into the beer and start spoiling it. Even if you got it out of the fermenter after 3-4 days, the oxygen will have dissolved into the beer. There's a fair chance this could turn into vinegar.

I'd suggest bottling or kegging it like Rod says. It'll clear in the keg.
Even if it doesn't turn to vinegar it could begin to oxidise

Well it was left in the fermenter Thursday till Saturday so 3 days. It seemed to taste fine upon kegging though it had turned at least one or two shades darker!

It’s now much darker than a Mexican cerveza and more amber in colour.

Now it’s been put in a keg and forced carbonated at 30psi will this be okay? Could it get any darker over the coming months?

Yeah I’ll definitely remember that in future beer is nothing like wine making. As in it turns bad fast when left in primary.

I’ve had 50 litres of red wine in a 100 litre fermenter and left it on the sediment for 5 months and it’s been fine! Stupidly assumed the same would apply to beer. Though 14% vs 6.5% is a clear difference!

Back