60 Minute IPA Greg Hughes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafbach

Reaction score
I am going to make the above brew within the next few days, however I am looking to add the following.

10% Flaked oats
5% Carapils

The recipe in the book has just the one grain bill, 5.5kg of Pale malt.

My question is do I add the above additions to the grain bill, or do I need to subtract the additions (775g) out from the original 5.5kg.

I would also love to hear from anyone who has given this recipe a go.

Thanks in advance

Dave

If you want to raise the ABV then add it on top if not deduct it from the pale malt.

Although the oats and carapils won't necessarily yield the same amount of sugars as the pale so it may not be a gram for gram swap to get the abv exactly the same. Best bet would be to run it through some brewing software.

I am going to make the above brew within the next few days, however I am looking to add the following.

10% Flaked oats
5% Carapils

The recipe in the book has just the one grain bill, 5.5kg of Pale malt.

My question is do I add the above additions to the grain bill, or do I need to subtract the additions (775g) out from the original 5.5kg.

I would also love to hear from anyone who has given this recipe a go.

Thanks in advance

Dave

I've brewed this and very much enjoyed it. I also have the ingredients purchased to brew it gain. I like the idea of adding those to the grain bill. I have found that my efficiency drops when adding flaked oats compared to software predictions. I would personally swap them and keep the grain bill at 5.5kg so the ABV isn't increased.

Although the oats and carapils won't necessarily yield the same amount of sugars as the pale so it may not be a gram for gram swap to get the abv exactly the same. Best bet would be to run it through some brewing software.

Morning Doc

I've put the ingredients into Beersmith and where as the original Abv is at 5.7% the additions bring it up to 6.1%. By subtracting the added from the original grain bill it's showing Abv of 5.4%.

I think that 5.4% will be a decent strength brew, without over stressing the yeast.

Cheers mate.

I've brewed this and very much enjoyed it. I also have the ingredients purchased to brew it gain. I like the idea of adding those to the grain bill. I have found that my efficiency drops when adding flaked oats compared to software predictions. I would personally swap them and keep the grain bill at 5.5kg so the ABV isn't increased.

I've put the ingredients into Beersmith and where as the original Abv is at 5.7% the additions bring it up to 6.1%. By subtracting the added from the original grain bill it's showing Abv of 5.4%.

I think that 5.4% will be a decent strength brew, without over stressing the yeast.

On the hoppy chart, with 1 being low and 10 being super hoppy similar to Brewdog Punk IPA, where would you put this one?

Did you tweak your recipe at all?

Cheers mate.

Latest posts

Back