A bit of fun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MackemBrew

Reaction score
So a bit of lockdown fun to try and keep people entertained..
I'm wanting to have a clear out of the half open bags of grains, hops and what not that I have sitting around.

It's not a massive selection granted but let's have your suggestions on what to brew with the below :)

3kg marris otter
1kg crystal malt high colour
1kg crystal malt
650g brown malt
500g carafe special 3
360g torrified wheat
500g crushed oats
800g flaked barley

240g lactose

100g fuggles
30g el Dorado
45g citra
65g mandarina bavaria
60g magnum

Safale s04
Safale US05
Wyeast 3056 (Bavarian)
WLP400 (Belgian Wit)
WLP644
WLP650

Stout or Porter.

Use the MO, plus Brown, Crystal and a small amount of Carafa 3 for Porter
MO, Flaked Barley and Carafa 3 for Stout.
Fuggles and US05 as it is getting warm!

Stout or Porter.

Use the MO, plus Brown, Crystal and a small amount of Carafa 3 for Porter
MO, Flaked Barley and Carafa 3 for Stout.
Fuggles and US05 as it is getting warm!
Your stout suggestion raises a question. Would a debittered black malt like Carafa Specal 3 work in a stout as the only dark grain? I am not a stout drinker myself, but my brother is and I make a couple of batches for him each year. I recently bought some Blackprinz, similar to the CS3 and initially intended to use it as the sole dark grain in a stout, but all I read suggested that stout needed the roasty bitterness, so used mix of RB, chocolate and the Blackprinz, which is currently in the FV. Have you made a stout with debittered black malt, if so how did it turn out?

Your stout suggestion raises a question. Would a debittered black malt like Carafa Specal 3 work in a stout as the only dark grain? I am not a stout drinker myself, but my brother is and I make a couple of batches for him each year. I recently bought some Blackprinz, similar to the CS3 and initially intended to use it as the sole dark grain in a stout, but all I read suggested that stout needed the roasty bitterness, so used mix of RB, chocolate and the Blackprinz, which is currently in the FV. Have you made a stout with debittered black malt, if so how did it turn out?

I think so, it would be much smoother than one using Black malt. I have a fair bit of Carafa 3 at present rather than Roasted barley or Black malt and will try making one as an experiment, which will get posted up in the Forum in due course. Am toying with the idea of a Parti-gyle Barley Wine and Stout for this Sunday, given that the weather is due to turn Arctic in Bolton by then. The general approach is outlined in Andy Hamilton's Brewing Britain and I was very pleased with last year's attempt.

How did the Carafa 3 glut happen? Buying HB stuff under the influence, I'm afraid.

45g citra
65g mandarina bavaria
60g magnum

American IPA? And the rest for a brown ale, perhaps a porter. That's a lot of crystal you got there :oops:

Latest posts

Back