A Blended Whiskey & its bloody good too.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclepumble

Landlord.
Reaction score
Now then I am not one for blended whiskys at all strickly a single malt man usually but :shock: :shock:

I was round a neighbours at Xmas and he had a bottle of Monkey Shoulder on the side, i asked what it was as I had not seen it before Now this bloke spends 1/3rd of the year in scotland so knows his whisky, and he said it was a lovely drop nice and smooth.

I couldn't try it because I was just about to drive the swmbo and kids somewhere so couldn't have any :(

Any way I saw a bottle in the supermarket last week so had to give it a go.

Verdict:- a really nice whisky well worth a try, and smoother and better than quite a few single malts that I have sampled before.

UP

ive not tried it myself but my brother went to a whisky bar in glasgow and he had it with apple juice, the barman advised him to try different whiskys/bourbons with apple juice (it sounds rotten but its amazing) he tried makers mark and woodford reserve aswell.it works just as well with the cheap tesco 'old samuel' bourbon. its nice accompanying a beer or 12!

I've never seen that one Shane.

The only blended whisky I tend to drink (other than the ones priced at the same level as single malts like Black Lable and Chivas Regal) is Black Bottle. There is a decent amount of Islay Malt in the blend and its not too bad. :thumb:

apple juice and whisky!
I would like to try that, how much apple juice do you add to the whisky as I dont want to waste a good half ?.

I'd second Monkey Shoulder; had it quite a few times and I'd ask for it over Jameson any day of the week. Like you said, it's really smooth with a very slight bourbony taste. Highly recommended :thumb:

I've just looked it up and it appears to be a blend of 3 well known malt whisky and is marketed as a Triple Malt. Very ood reviews too.

I might have to see if the local Asda has it in stock this weekend. :hmm:

patesy said:
apple juice and whisky!
I would like to try that, how much apple juice do you add to the whisky as I dont want to waste a good half ?.
just the usual amount! as if u were having a jack daniels and coke. its nice just suppin' on it a wee bit at a time and tasting it instead of just gulping it down!

Dunfie said:
I've never seen that one Shane.

The only blended whisky I tend to drink (other than the ones priced at the same level as single malts like Black Lable and Chivas Regal) is Black Bottle. There is a decent amount of Islay Malt in the blend and its not too bad. :thumb:

I second that I have found memories of Black Bottle when I lived on the West Coast of Scotland. It was the only scotch the locals would drink, mind you most of them drank pints of blastaways or vodka and Iron Brew :lol: :lol:. You can taste the Islay in it.

Cheers

AG

The monkey shoulder is a cracking drink, not cheap though its about what I pay for a single malt in the local supermarket about £22 I think it was, but Its very very smooth and on par with a lot of singles I have tried.

I recommend giving it a try, callum, I picked it up at sainsburys.

UP

I would reccomend Bailie Nicol Jarvie as my malt drinkers blend. God i wish i could have one now stillonly 10 more days of dyness to go!! Enjoy

your monkey shoulder is a blend of three Speyside Malts.
Before moving up to Orkney, I spent the first 20years of my life on Speyside. Weened on Macallan :thumb:

Miss the free salmon fishing but can enjoy an Aborlour as it's usually on offer.

OK, fancy a dram now to go with my Irish red ale brew. :D

Might go for a Highland Park. A bit darker than my favourite Speyside drams but I still like it.

Cheers :drink:

I've been fortunate enough to try Blue Label and it's easily one of the best things to pass my lips. Blends can be great, you may consider that they lose a certain "individuality" in the blend, but then again they may gain their own in it. If they're notably cheaper than a single malt then it's because they use a butt load of under aged grain whisky to bulk it out so it won't taste very good.

craigite said:
your monkey shoulder is a blend of three Speyside Malts.
Before moving up to Orkney, I spent the first 20years of my life on Speyside. Weened on Macallan :thumb:

Miss the free salmon fishing but can enjoy an Aborlour as it's usually on offer.

OK, fancy a dram now to go with my Irish red ale brew. :D

Might go for a Highland Park. A bit darker than my favourite Speyside drams but I still like it.

Cheers :drink:

Macallan cask strength is one of my favorites as is The Balvenie Double Wood.

Aborlour :sick: tastes like petrol to me not a fan at all, but maybe I had a bad bottle, I gave it away.

UP

unclepumble said:
Aborlour :sick: tastes like petrol to me not a fan at all, but maybe I had a bad bottle, I gave it away.

UP

That's a shame, mayby it was a bad bottle. OK it aint the best but I quite like Aberlour.
My dad used to get together with a few mate and buy a barrel of Macallan, then bottle it them selves.

I've herd of it, and its down in a book i've got 101 whiskys to try before you die...
Might have to give it a go.... that and jura superstition.

(not that i'm short of bottles... i'm slowly working my way down 12 :drunk: )

Picked up a bottle from S'bury's £22.99 today, shall try tonight :thumb:

Back