A Geordie "Winter Warmer" tin.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Appleyard

Regular.
Reaction score
According to what I've read here, this'll be about 3.8%ABV, which I would not class as "Winter Warmer". Still, I've got one I bought a while ago, so I'd better deal with it. Something must be done, without going out and buying more stuff.

In the cupboard I have some light and dark brown sugar, golden syrup, white granulated. I have some powdered ginger, some rather elderly nutmegs, some cloves, some (old) cinnamon sticks, cloves, vanilla pods, curry powder, pepper, thyme, extract of almond, rose water, etc.

So. I was thinking of making (say) 30 pints (17L) rather than 40 from the kit, adding more than 1kg of sugar (2?) and bunging in some of the extra things I happen to have lying around...

Would the basic short brew plus whatever sugar be reasonable on its own? Are any of the above substances useful, or am I likely to come a cropper?

Suggestions (including "run away!")?

I am about to do something with this kit. I read the instructions with kindly interest. In them, I'm told:

"Remember non-returnable bottles are not suitable".

Why? I've always used non-returnable bottles! Is theirs a "cover-all-risk" statement, or is this likely to be unusually fizzy? Or what?

I am about to do something with this kit. I read the instructions with kindly interest. In them, I'm told:

"Remember non-returnable bottles are not suitable".

Why? I've always used non-returnable bottles! Is theirs a "cover-all-risk" statement, or is this likely to be unusually fizzy? Or what?
I wasn’t even aware we had returnable bottles for beer anymore. I have heard that some of the green larger bottles can be a tad thin, but I have reused brown bottles that most ales are sold in (Fullers, etc,) without issue for several years, so unless you are adding an absolutely excessive amount of priming sugar I would think standard beer bottles (or plastic bottles) would be absolutely fine.

Makes me wonder when the last time they revised the instructions was.

Maybe they're printed in China? I notice "we would recommend ...", rather than "we recommend ...", and "when fermentaion has stopped". It does though say "British malt" on the tin. They're still using gallons, which is fine by me, but perhaps dated.

Edit: What is the point of dissolving the malt extract and sugar in boiling water? Just to make it dissolve more easily, or to give an aura of brewing, or some other thing?

Edit: Well that's sitting on a couple of boards over the range, where its bottom will keep nice and warm. I've sprinkled on the yeast that came with it, whatever it is. 30 pints total from 40 pint kit, OG about 1048 at measured 23½°C on an ordinary thermometer, so say 1050 adjusted.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back