Winter Warmer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markymook

Reaction score
Hi. . . I am about to start a Geordie Winter Warmer but I would like to add cinnamon as an extra seasonal ingredient. . . The question is can I use cinnamon powder and if so how much for a 40 pint batch. The worry is it stops the yeast from working . . . Any info is good.

I don't think it'll stop the yeast working, the main danger is to make it overpowering. I'd add a teaspoonful towards the end of the boil and make sure it's well stirred in. You could also add nutmeg.

I am doing the same thing with a stout kit which is fermenting at the moment.

I read about making a kind of tea which you can add to the fermenter or to bottles which is my plan - trying a couple of different ones in different bottles to see how I like any or none of them.

I'll be putting a few cinnamon sticks and cocoa in a jar and covering them with cheap vodka. After 3ish days then will taste and hopefully add just the strained liquid to around 10 bottles to add the flavour just before bottling. The other 10 bottles will be cocoa and orange. The rest will be as per kit flavour.

*Disclaimer* I've never done this before and am new to brewing but this is what I'm trying anyway.

I don't think it'll stop the yeast working, the main danger is to make it overpowering. I'd add a teaspoonful towards the end of the boil and make sure it's well stirred in. You could also add nutmeg.
Ok that’s cool . . I didn’t think of nutmeg.

I am doing the same thing with a stout kit which is fermenting at the moment.

I read about making a kind of tea which you can add to the fermenter or to bottles which is my plan - trying a couple of different ones in different bottles to see how I like any or none of them.

I'll be putting a few cinnamon sticks and cocoa in a jar and covering them with cheap vodka. After 3ish days then will taste and hopefully add just the strained liquid to around 10 bottles to add the flavour just before bottling. The other 10 bottles will be cocoa and orange. The rest will be as per kit flavour.

*Disclaimer* I've never done this before and am new to brewing but this is what I'm trying anyway.
Thanks for that . . . You certainly have some recipes on the go. Be great to hear how you get on.

Not sure I have enough time to use the cocoa powder this time around - might boil some low fat dark chocolate - good job it's not going in the fermenter :)

Latest posts

Back