A noobs recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkier

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I'm planning to do a small 5L brew on the weekend and wanted to run my recipe past some more experienced brewers. Its not quiet a SMASH but its still a simple recipe.

1Kg Maris Otter
0.1Kg Vienna Malt

60 minute mash @ 66 Celcius
Mash out to 77 Celcius

60 minute boil

6g Cascade at 60 mins
6g Cascade at 15 mins
12g Cascade at flamout

pitch yeast at 21 Degrees

Looks OK....just did a golden ale with vienna in it, and its nice. What alpha acid are your cascade???... if 7% then I get it coming out around 29 IBUs in beersmith.... for a simple pale ale I tend to like the bitterness more in the 30-40 region but that is a matter of personal taste. (I am a bit of a hop wimp...never more than 50 IBUs) . If your cascade are around 9% aa it should be fine (for my taste). If they are 7% or lower if it were me I'd probably up the 60 and 15 minute to 8 grams.

Looks OK....just did a golden ale with vienna in it, and its nice. What alpha acid are your cascade???... if 7% then I get it coming out around 29 IBUs in beersmith.... for a simple pale ale I tend to like the bitterness more in the 30-40 region but that is a matter of personal taste. (I am a bit of a hop wimp...never more than 50 IBUs) . If your cascade are around 9% aa it should be fine (for my taste). If they are 7% or lower if it were me I'd probably up the 60 and 15 minute to 8 grams.

I got some 9% AA Cascade :)

cool... :thumb: I think it should be good. Next time you could try same recipe and subsitute vienna with light crystal or carapils and see what the difference is as regards body and foaming. I'm just going down that journey with various combinations of hops and malts so I know what I like and don't like ('like less' probably better description).. doing that on a 5ltr batch size is sensible since you can get more test brews in without generating 100's of bottles of beer. :drunk: (I do 23ltr batch sizes so its a slower journey )

This will only be my 2nd ever brew. I got an all grain kit for christmas so i've currently only got equipment for a 5L batch. If i get a recipe i really like though i'll consider scaling up.

the power of the dark side is strong so I expect you will find a recipe you really like and will scale up and be hooked like the rest of us. :)

Back