Advice on Session IPA recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be okay with waiting for a good result. So ferment for 14 days, all the hops in at day 7, then leave for another 7 days then cold crash. Then leave it for how long before bottling would you say?
Dry hopping for 2-3 days should be enough but 7 days won't hurt.
I like to get it down slowly to 0C and hold it there for at least a day or two but as its so cold it won't do any harm to hold it there longer until its convenient to package.

Dry hopping for 2-3 days should be enough but 7 days won't hurt.
I like to get it down slowly to 0C and hold it there for at least a day or two but as its so cold it won't do any harm to hold it there longer until its convenient to package.

That's nice and fine but some people don't have temperature control. To those people I'd say: 4 days tops.

I did use kettle finings. Yeast was S-04. Good hot and cold break I think. I mashed higher than usual (68c) as my English bitters seemed a little thin which could account for extra proteins. Although I would have thought 68c would be acceptable for a full body?
I'd have thought so but I don't make many bitters and think its a difficult style to nail. I'm becoming more and more convinced that water profile is important for bitters though. I'm gonna try brewing an old AK recipe next with a low abv and am hoping to avoid the thinness I've had with similar brews before

That's nice and fine but some people don't have temperature control. To those people I'd say: 4 days tops.
I've never really noticed any grassy flavours from dry hops held at fermentation temps for a week or more.

Hi guys, just saying thank you for your help with this recipe! It turned out pretty well, I brought it to a BBQ when it was still very young having been bottled for 2 weeks and I got great feedback. I think I got the hop balance a little off, I changed it to Galaxy and Azacca with about twice as much Azacca which I think was a mistake, had too much of a citrussy tartness. It also ended up a fair bit weaker than expected at about 3.9% (think too much sparge water was used), which I think also slightly toned down the malt ratio and IBU's. Overall a success though!

Splodges acheers.

Latest posts

Back