AG#27 Popgoblin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Managed to get a brewday past the missus :party: Todays brew is a sort of hobgoblin clone, but due to not having any flaked barley or carapills its a sort of mix of Orfy`s and Barley Bottoms recipes, the bitterness and colour is around the same as hobgoblin. This brew is for my dad for xmas (this helped to get it past the missus :? ) well half of it is anyway :lol:

Popgoblin 23L 4.6%

4200g Pale malt
180g Crystal malt
150g Flaked oats
150g Wheat malt
25g Choc malt
25g Roasted barley malt

70g Fuggles - 90mins boil
20g Bobek - 10mins boil
15g Bobek - Flame out - steep 30mins

Expected OG:1046
Expected FG:1012
IBU:34.0
SRM:12.9

Mash wasn`t on till almost 11am and there is about an hour left of the boil, will be using a notty starter from last weeks brew to kick this one off :cheers:

Couple of pics, mashed in at 68degrees to give a bit of body,
IMGP3463.jpg
IMGP3467.jpg
IMGP3468.jpg

Sorted the boiler after last weeks double fail!!
IMGP3464.jpg

:drink:

Looks good Rick, nice pics as usual :thumb:

Keeping thinking of doing Orfy's clone, but today I'm decorating the bathroom :(

Nice job Rick :thumb:

Im gonna have to go out and get a bottle of Hobgoblin and see what all the fuss is about :D

Wont be getting a brew on any time soon in the middle of packing and selling the Bugalow (at long last) so wont be brewing again till we get moved (where ever that may be). Missing it already :cry:

rickthebrew said:
hey mick will the new place have room for a brewery :thumb: I long for a house with a garage :(

If all goes to plan Rick it will have a dedicated brewery/bar in the garden :thumb: .

Thought we had found the perfect place but had offer turned down yesterday :cry:

But there are plenty more places out there :grin:

Finished with 21 1/2 litres - topped up to 23litres with treated water, gravity is 1044 so a couple points under :thumb: managed to put a couple gallons of cranberry wurzel`s on to :whistle:

:drink:

Good one rick, nice to see that you did manage to sneak it past the missus!

Your brewday posts always make me thirsty!

:D
:cheers:

unclepumble said:
Looks good, rick.

Nice to see someone was brewing,today, my highlight was chasing my son round ikea trying to catch him.
:(

UP

:lol: I chased mine around the park for an hour whilst the mash was on :lol:

First taste after five days in the bottle :whistle: Needs a touch more conditioning but early tastes are good - maybe a little light in colour and a touch more choc malt possibly, will do a side to side review in a couple weeks :D

and the odd QC inbetween i imagine :P

Turned out very nice this one - would reccomend the recipe but next time i`d get hold of the carapils and flaked barley as its not a great match - still nice though.

Twenty bottles for the old man for xmas :D

popop.png

rickthebrew said:
Turned out very nice this one - would reccomend the recipe but next time i`d get hold of the carapils and flaked barley as its not a great match - still nice though.

Please explain Rick. Caraplis and Flaked Barley. Not a good match with what. Do you mean you would use Flaked Barley instead of Flaked Oats?. Is Carapils a substitute for Crystal malt??. Ive had a couple of bottles of Hobgoblin over the last week and I like it. I fully intend to brew this once I get moved.

Mick - I meant my recipe didn`t replicate hobgoblin very closely, still a nice pint though. Carapills differs slightly to crystal malt (i`m no expert) but crystal gives sweetness, body and toffee notes whilst cara tends to add body and dryness, as for the flaked barley - I couldn`t get any so thought porridge oats what the hell ;) Hobgoblin is a great beer and anything attempted that gets close is a thumbs up, I will try this again when I have all the ingredients from orfys recipe and would say give it a go, if you enjoy the style then you won`t go wrong with simular hop / malt profile :thumb:

How`s the move going?

rickthebrew said:
Mick - I meant my recipe didn`t replicate hobgoblin very closely, still a nice pint though. Carapills differs slightly to crystal malt (i`m no expert) but crystal gives sweetness, body and toffee notes whilst cara tends to add body and dryness, as for the flaked barley - I couldn`t get any so thought porridge oats what the hell ;) Hobgoblin is a great beer and anything attempted that gets close is a thumbs up, I will try this again when I have all the ingredients from orfys recipe and would say give it a go, if you enjoy the style then you won`t go wrong with simular hop / malt profile :thumb:

How`s the move going?

I understand now thanks for explaining :thumb:

As for the house move. How long have you got!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. It has not been a pleasant experience so far. Still not exchanged contracts. We tried on Friday but hadn't heard from the buyers solicitors at close of business. Been 12 weeks now and according to my estate agent my buyer is loosing patients with his solicitors. We both wanted to be moved by Xmas. My purchase was 5 weeks behind my sale it has now overtaken it but I cant proceed until I exchange on my sale. It has been the most annoying stressful time of my life and sadly it still ain't over. They say all good things come to those who wait. They better be bloody right.

Latest posts

Back