AG 31 Forest Fruit Mild

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runwell-Steve

Landlord.
Reaction score
OK, so today I thought I'd make a Mild with a load of fruit in it, was this a good plan or wasn't it, not sure yet.

The Original Recipe was here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20473 but I did tweak it a bit.

The result for a 60 Litre Brew Length was

8.5Kg Lager malt
2.5Kg Caramalt
1Kg Oat Malt
1Kg Wheat Malt
500g Chocolate Malt

80g Bramling Cross 60 min
40g Bramling Cross 15 min
40g Bramling Cross 10 min
40g Bramling Cross 5 min

2.5 Kg Mixed Forest Fruits 15 min
2 Kg Blackberries 15 mins

So, the initial thing I had worked out was this was going to be tight, The Mash Tun would be to capacity, and the boiler would be bursting at the seams, it appears I wasn't wrong.

As ever, a shot of the grains.

DSCF0495.jpg

And the hops.

DSCF0496.jpg

And the fruit.

DSCF0498.jpg

Into the Mash Tun we go, I knew it was going to be tight.

DSCF0500.jpg

Hops weighed out ready for the boil

DSCF0503.jpg

First runnings going into the boiler, I know already I'm not going to have room in there.

DSCF0505.jpg

15 minutes left and in with the fruit

DSCF0511.jpg

Theres really not much room for error here

DSCF0512.jpg

Panic over what have we got. Ooh 1.056, thats 6 points above target, must be all that fruit I forgot to include in my Sugar calculations.

DSCF0514.jpg

The picture really doesn't do the colour justice, it's horrible, a definite muddy brown with a slight hint of pinkness, it's really not nice a reminds me of the results of an unpleasant illness.

Oh well, into the fermenter

DSCF0515.jpg

This is the slowest runoff ever, It took 2 hours to drain the boiler, it normally takes about 15 minutes, must be all that Jam I've made in the bottom.

The remnants in the boiler, again the picture doesn't really show how awful brown colour that is. About 5 inches of brown gunk.

DSCF0517.jpg

I did get the full 60 Litres out of my 70 Litre boiler though, so that was an achievement, as to the result, well wort never tastes nice, but I have to reserve judgement on this one. Initial indications are that I am not expecting great things from this. It was an experiment and I have a feeling the results may not be great.

I think you will be pleasantly suprised by it. However I think it will take some time to condition for all that flavour to mellow. Aone thought about the muddyness there was no pectolase in it. I didnkt sugest it on your previous thread because when I did fruit in beer I did a stout so it didn't matter. Perhaps the usual 1 tsp per gallon might help.

Latest posts

Back