AG#34 Old Stoat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
:D oatmeal stout brewday has arrived :D

Loads of oaty brews around at the moment so thought i`d have a crack at one as well - i`ve never had an oat stout but sure i`ll enjoy it :lol:

Old Stoat 36L 4.7%

4900gram Pale malt
1000gram Oat malt
700gram Flaked oats (toasted in oven)
470gram Crystal malt
400gram Brown malt
300gram Choc malt
300gram Roasted barley
300gram Flaked barley

60grams Northdown - 90min boil

Expected OG:1050
Expected FG:1015
IBU:30.9
SRM:33.1

I have a whitelabs WLP023 Burton ale yeast for this one, I split it last week into six and have a starter in a DJ ready to pitch later.
IMGP3968.jpg

I toasted the oats last night on a medium oven heat for almost an hour untill they were a light golden colour
IMGP3967.jpg

I decided to do a glucan rest so I added 140grams of pale malt to the toasted oats and 2500mls of water at 45degrees, this then came to around 35degrees - covered with tin foil and left it for 30mins.
IMGP3971.jpg

IMGP3974.jpg

As this was resting the mash was on, I then heated the oats upto 65degrees and added to the main mash, which was a squeeze :whistle:
IMGP3975.jpg

Mashed in at 68degrees, temp held very well

IMGP3976.jpg

Very dark and smells lovely out of the tun, no flow problems
IMGP3977.jpg

Boil just finished :drink:

Nice one rick .. it's turning into a movement!

Great pics! I had a bottle on mine yesterday (only a week in). This one looks to be a while in the bottle... bitterness is a bit harsh but the coffee tastes are storming through. I have a 'very young' taste which seems to be manifesting as a 'chemical' taste... not worried though as this happened with my last stout and it went after a month or so.

I see you went for the porridge rest :D

Enjoy the rest of the day Rick!

:cheers:

This is ready to bottle but due to a bit of DIY (major front room redecoration) it`ll be saturday before its bottled, the yeast has given a really fruity flavour - tastes great out of the FV :thumb:

Back