AG brew: Sour Cherry (Lactobacillus goodness)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair point. This has only been going for 3 months, so another 3-4 in tertiary and then a long period in the bottles ought to help. Being impatient doesn't help in brewing a beer for over a year!

The beer was bottled yesterday after 9-10 months in fermentation.

1292826_10152330788921155_1468641857_o.jpg

I'm underwhelmed at both the cherry flavour (4.2kg for 23 litres) and the sourness. I think if I repeat this experiment then I will omit the Saccharomyces altogether and let the Lactobacillus do all the work.

Still, its raspberry cousin will be bottled in a fortnight so we shall see how that fairs.

Perhaps you may have been better leaving it in the primary then adding the cherries a few months before drinking as I've read the fruit flavours can fade with time.

Mine is going quite well, I think it's also worth waiting at least a year+ for it develop.

I tasted mine at the weekend after 8 months in the primary, I intend to add fruit in the autumn for drinking at christmas.

My comments are here

Perhaps your beer will taste better with some carbonation.

Hi Paul, I had mine in the primary for 1 year and bottled for 6 months. Only now starting to taste sour and balanced.

As above not much cherry flavour in mine but, many lambics are blends of old beers for sourness and young beer for fruit flavour. Timmermans I understand use fruit cordial.

I used the same bacteria and Brett cake with a Brown Ale, waiting to see if I get an Oud Bruin type beer. T

Cool. This is going to be in the bottles until at least early autumn anyway so I'll test it then.

Back