Airlock cleaning question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ad n Jo

Reaction score
Yes, I've made the obvious 2 mistakes - 1, had a kit bubble over into airlock, and 2, not cleaned it properly.

Besides the obvious ( I've already told myself not to fill up demijohn so soon) are there any effective ways of cleaning mould deposits from the 'bottom' of the airlock, ie where it holds the water in normal usage. I'm not so keen on using this one until it's clean, so it's stood in not quite boiling water to try and loosen/clean it.

Any suggestions for a rookie?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Ad n Jo said:
Yes, I've made the obvious 2 mistakes - 1, had a kit bubble over into airlock, and 2, not cleaned it properly.

Besides the obvious ( I've already told myself not to fill up demijohn so soon) are there any effective ways of cleaning mould deposits from the 'bottom' of the airlock, ie where it holds the water in normal usage. I'm not so keen on using this one until it's clean, so it's stood in not quite boiling water to try and loosen/clean it.

Any suggestions for a rookie?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

I had the same happen last week but I think I can be excused as it was my first one and I did not know lol.

Anyhow, ive found the washing cleaning agent (oxi) works brilliantly ive got a tub that I got from wilkos for 2.50 and its brill (it managed to remove 20 year old red wine stains from the bottom of my demijohn)

If worse comes to worse its £3 for two of the better airlocks at wilkos.

I moved to the handy airlocks from wilco as they are silent and a doddle to clean and sterelise -

Wilko Handy Airlock Rubber Bung 2pk
now £1.84 was £2.50
save £0.66

This compact 'handy' airlock and bung set is designed for use with glass demijohns, half fill with clean water and harmful airborn bacteria, yeasts and moulds are kept away from your fermenting wine.

0240202_l.jpg

ysymybuj.jpg

Just put the airlock and lid aside and go glad wrap and the rubber seal from the lid.

Thanks chippy tea, I'll get some. I'm gonna get into Wilko's, even though I'm only doing kits ATM, I'm gonna go for fruit at some point so will need the tubs of nutrient, etc.

Ad n Jo said:
Thanks chippy tea, I'll get some. I'm gonna get into Wilko's, even though I'm only doing kits ATM, I'm gonna go for fruit at some point so will need the tubs of nutrient, etc.

Ive just done the same! thought i may as well seeing as everythings on sale at the moment!

krazypara3165 said:
Ad n Jo said:

Ive just done the same! thought i may as well seeing as everythings on sale at the moment!

A little tip if i may, when i first started using them i left the lid part loose and they were noisy, you are supposed to push the top on firmly (there are tiny holes in the rim to let the CO2 out) and they than work silently. :thumb:

Ad n Jo said:

If you want to move away from kits into doing your own thing have a read of this thread, i think you will find it of interest - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=39846

The basic ingredients of the Supermarket juice wines are -

citric acid or juice of a lemon.

Tannin or a mug of strong black tea. (3 or 4 bags stirred occasionally over a 15 minute period)

Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

Nutrient.

Pectolase.

Glycerene.

Back