All Challenger / Bluebird clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer taster

Reaction score
Needed to use up my challenger hops, so brewed a bluebird clone yesterday.

Pale Malt 4700 grams
Crystal Malt 450 grams

Challenger 90 mins 60 grams
Challenger 10 mins 30 grams
Challenger 0 mins 10 grams
Yeast S04.

Planned OG 1041
Bitterness: 36 EBU
Colour: 22 EBC

As always things never go 100% to plan. Couldn’t find my HERMS return manifold so shorter amount of time recirculating. Digital thermometer started playing up but hopefully the temperature didn’t drop too much, and I still have a minor leak from the Valentine Arm,

But the main problem was when I was pumping from the boiler into the FV. I recirculated the wort through the pump back to the boiler for a while towards the end of the boil, to sterilise the pipes, this worked fine but when I started pumping to the FV it was very slow and eventually stopped, so lost a few litres in the bottom of the boiler. I know my hop stopper is part of the problem as the mesh #60 is too fine, but does anyone else have a problem pumping from boiler to FV?

A few pictures below
ag17-brewday.jpg

I have no problems pumping from the boiler and recircing, Looking at your photo though you are using pellets which is a whole different ball game that I do not play, You need a fine mesh to catch them and they block said mesh as soon as it works. Really don't know the answer to that one.
Also is your cooling a little slow? I would split the cold feed to both coils rather than running heated water though the second coil.

Brew day looks good though :thumb:

muddydisco said:
I would split the cold feed to both coils rather than running heated water though the second coil. :
Excellent idea, why didn't I think of that :oops:
snail59 said:
I use a chiller coil but ive spread mine like this.
another good idea I didn't consider :oops:

Less drinking more thinking required :lol:

Cheers
Mark

Back