American Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich747

Reaction score
Went in search of a brew-pub here in Atlanta. Chose the sampler.......

photo55ej.jpg

All sh!t

You should have your own tv show reviewing things, not sure why but this is one of the funniest things i have seen in ages

Ive seen this idea the last time I was in the US. Good idea, I thought. About 1/3 pint each, with tasting notes. Must admit, I did actually gag on a couple.
The more I think about this idea, the more I like it....If it was on sale in a UK pub, then Id buy it. I do have a personal gripe about real ales sold in the the UK, why dont the brewers provide tasting notes and list the ingredients.

Bummer you had a bad experience at Gordon Biersch. I went to one in California once several years and it was pretty good. Even though Gordon Biersch is chain I suspect there is some variation from place to place.

Beer samplers are great. It is a nice way to try several of an establishments beers and decide which one you'd actually like a pint of.

- Scott

the bar staff in Britain would complain re all the extra glasses to wash

I've never been impressed by the Gordon Biersch pubs. Plus, you have to remember that Georgia's beer scene is a bit behind because of some restrictive laws concerning ABV and container size.

You should consider hitting up one of the places from this list:
http://www.ratebeer.com/places/regions/atlanta-sandy-springs-marietta/0520/10/

Sweetwater Brewing is the local beer, but I wasn't very impressed with it either.

Some top brewers are:
Bell's
Founders
Alagash
Great Divide
Avery
Southern Tier
Lagunitas
Alesmith
Cigar City
Hoppin Frog
Pizza Port
Shipyard
He'Brew
Deschutes

And, moving further north, my travels take me to Chicago and another detailed beer review.

photo1zub.jpg

Again, all sh!t.

Dude, go to better bars.

In Chicago you should have gone to The Gingerman or the Maproom or something.

Drink some Three Floyd's while you're there. Founders and Bells should be easy to find too. Maybe you can find an Erie Monster from Great Lakes Brewing company. I had one of those this summer while I was in that area, and it was pretty good.

ratebeer.com 's location guides are actually pretty helpful for most cities. I would check it out before you next trip to wherever you may be going. Although I do find the scores in the individual beer ratings to be inflated. I use beeradvocate.com for beer reviews and I sort the reviews by top reviewers first while viewing them.

I agree ratebeer.com and beeradvocate.com are pretty good sources of information.

There can be quite a bit variation in scores.

Sorting by top reviewers is a great idea! I'll have to remember that.

I've also found that pubcrawler.com is pretty good. However, I have to admit there seems to be even more variation in scores.

I have a webpage (two actually) of U.S. Brewery links I use all three of those sites for finding new webpages or determine which establishments have gone under.

- Scott

Rich747 said:
And, moving further north, my travels take me to Chicago and another detailed beer review.

photo1zub.jpg

Again, all sh!t.

I see the problem here......American beer seems to be as flat as a witches tit. ...Not proper Northern beer "Wi an 'eard on it kidda"....

Loetz said:
I'm not sure that these are good representations of American beer.

I'd agree, you are just going to the wrong place. Do a bit more research next time :thumb:

Meh. I've never been a huge fan of Goose Island, and now that they're owned by AB-InBev it feels somehow wrong. I guess Obama likes Goose Island, so maybe that means something? He has it shipped specially to the White House.

...but I've never had any of their Bourbon County Stouts. I hear they are fantastic.

g20_bet_PS-0260.jpg

Latest posts

Back