Any folkies?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calumscott

Regular.
Reaction score
Now. There is a stereotypical link between real beer drinkers and folk music...

I like real beer.

I like folk music.

But I need to broaden my horizons.

At the moment I'm right into Seth Lakeman, Fairport Convention, Jethro Tull (particularly the Heavy Horses album), Runrig and I like stuff like Tanita Tikaram, and Folky jazzy stuff like Ruby Blue/Rebecca Pigeon...

Oh, and I do like Shooglenifty! Ceilidh-rock done well is superb!

So where next? What's the big noise on the folk scene? Who should I be listening to??? :cheers:

If you like folk-crossover styles, some of my favourites include Dizraeli and the Small Gods (Bristol/Brighton: folk, hip-hop) Lamb (Manchester: folk, iDnB, jazz) Lou Rhodes (Lamb's lead singer: acoustic, folk) and Alabama 3 (Peckham/Brixton: country & western, blues, acid house) and Calexico (Tucson: roots, tejano, indie rock).

Good God, someone else has heard of Runrig. :thumb:

I think I've got most of what Runrig, Tull and Fairport have ever released, plus quite a bit of Span, some Albion Band, Lindisfarne and stuff like that.

Other favourites would include Brass Monkey, Kathryn Tickell, Sileas, Poozies, Julie Fowlis, Silly Wizard, Isambarde and Maurice & the Minors / John Richards Band.

Current stuff: Haven't got a clue.

I don't mind folk music, I think more than that I'm into celtic rock though. Love the sound.

Been listening to a lot of black 47 recently.

Runrig, Capercaille, Martyn Wyndham Read, Corries, Ewan Mcoll, The Taverners, (anyone remember Robin Hall and Jimmy McGregor? ) Showing my age I'm afraid. :oops:

Nobody has yet mentioned John Martyn, I think his Curved Air album is the doggies danglies and has been for some years. I first came across him when he used to appear in Les Cousins folk club in the 60's along with Martin Carthy and others.

Not a finger in the ear type myself but do enjoy some of the names mentioned, Fairports, John Martyn and Lindisfarne etc. One obscure name from the 70s was Irish folk singer Jonathan Kelly. Saw him live a few times, great show.

not strictly folk bands but indie type bands with folk influences I listen to, The Twilight Sad, Three Blind Wolves, The Unwinding Hours,Frightened Rabbit..

Peatbog faeries is an interesting blend of celtic and errr, something like chilled out electronica/jazz.

I really like the modern 'folky' alternative bands like sons of Mumford and the lumineers.

I like a wide range of folk, I think listening to folk in primary school (we had a jesus booted bearded leather elbow patched teacher) influenced what I listened to in the 80'sand 90's, pouges, men they couldn't hang, waterboys, clannad, jethro tull, led zepplin, dead can dance, all about eve levellers more levelers, Neck. Now i also listen to a lot of older musicians as well, The Albian Band, Joan Baez, steeleeye span and fairport.

If it has mandolin or Hurdy Gurdy then I will listen to it :lol: :lol:

Bellowhead is an obvious one, Omnia is a great folk band and will give you loads of other ones in the suggested vids on youtube (e.g. Faun)

Latest posts

Back