Any folkies?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Full English! no, I hadn't heard of them either. Blue Ross Code are also getting some acclaim. I've met Ross at some of their gigs ....'Name dropper' :roll:

[youtube:41kgj3nu]1Y6-e9BTbYg[/youtube:41kgj3nu]

calumscott said:
http://www.efdss.org/efdss-the-full-english

The collective and the album were spawned as part of this awesome project. Some of the most beautiful vocals I've ever heard (from Nancy Kerr on "Arthur O'bradley" and "Fol the Day-O").
Link below to the BBC awards for the above (Arthur O'Bradley) track - just to save others the effort of doing what I just did.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e24mxj/acts/aw96v2#p01skmrt

Maysie said:
calumscott said:
http://www.efdss.org/efdss-the-full-english

The collective and the album were spawned as part of this awesome project. Some of the most beautiful vocals I've ever heard (from Nancy Kerr on "Arthur O'bradley" and "Fol the Day-O").
Link below to the BBC awards for the above (Arthur O'Bradley) track - just to save others the effort of doing what I just did.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e24mxj/acts/aw96v2#p01skmrt

:thumb:

while all you folkies are here, a question. I taped a scottish song years ago that was kind of celtic/ambient. I have lost it now but it went sort of... Go roond the heather, get together, for the man born to be king Charlie (pronounced Chair-Lee) Not much to go on but help appreciated. :thumb:

The only song that comes to mind with "Chairlee" is "Sound the Pibroch" by the Corries

[youtube:hjmfgeno]QTRqUvjwkac[/youtube:hjmfgeno]

I'm amazed, it was 16 responses before Bellowhead got a mention. I'm booked into the Albert Hall for their London 10th anniversary GiG on 20th April. :thumb:

On a slightly different note, a few (too many) years ago we had a boat rally near Burton on Trent. The band booked were quite good but did a really excellent rendition of Hawkwind's Silver Machine (one of my favourites) at the end of the GiG we discovered that the drummer with the band was the old Hawkwind drummer. That explained a lot. :cheers:

Graham
Old rockers don't die, they just turn the volume down a bit.

I quite like folk of all styles.

My most favoured folk experience was a biker rally a couple of years ago. We had arrived around 10:00 and commenced tent erection and drinking (don't ask what, this is pre home brew, pity me please). By 21:00 we'd had enough of wandering around looking at other folk's bikes and generally swapping tall stories so headed for the main hall to find it damn near empty, just as we'd got beers and seats there was one hell of a noise, kettle drums, pipes, violin and staff.

A guy around 6' appeared with a kettle drum on each hip beating the cr@p out of them, followed by a chap with a staff (think Gandalf) banging all buggery out the floor. Next into the room was the piper, kilt, tam o' shanter, skirls, swagger, the bag o' mashing followed by a cute little lady with violin.

We sat and listened for the next 45 minutes, got more beer in the interval, and listened for the next 45 mintues before insisting on an encore.

I've no idea what they were called, but they rocked my night :)

try a bit of a band from Scotland called 'The Twilight Sad' and see what you think. will post a few of they're best songs.

[youtube:3ue7wz9f]79pmP4FjnXc[/youtube:3ue7wz9f]

[youtube:3ue7wz9f]yWKMv-nHKbw[/youtube:3ue7wz9f]
[youtube:3ue7wz9f]nkUW_Kt9Nxg[/youtube:3ue7wz9f]
[youtube][/youtube]

Pakman said:
I'm amazed, it was 16 responses before Bellowhead got a mention. I'm booked into the Albert Hall for their London 10th anniversary GiG on 20th April. :thumb:

On a slightly different note, a few (too many) years ago we had a boat rally near Burton on Trent. The band booked were quite good but did a really excellent rendition of Hawkwind's Silver Machine (one of my favourites) at the end of the GiG we discovered that the drummer with the band was the old Hawkwind drummer. That explained a lot. :cheers:

Graham
Old rockers don't die, they just turn the volume down a bit.
Saw Hawkwind in the 80s. Ginger Baker was guesting on drums!! I was deaf for two days afterwards.

Sort of folk. If you'd like a modern twist on it :)

[youtube:29cm9qo8]y2OavLPpPVw[/youtube:29cm9qo8]

I quickly scrolled through this and I don't think anybody has mentioned Chris Wood??

Worth a listen if you like a bit of folk :party:

Give these bands a go. Not particularly mainstream but great bands, especially live:

The Whisky Priests - North Eastern thrash folk
[youtube:252ka5l1]UZhegwsWr7g[/youtube:252ka5l1]

The Saw Doctors - Irish rock
[youtube:252ka5l1]TI53n9JbdWc[/youtube:252ka5l1]

Spirit of the West - Canadian folk rock
[youtube:252ka5l1]sPJD3qcIL7s[/youtube:252ka5l1]

Dave

Latest posts

Back