Any light masters on the forum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
calumscott said:
I guess if you spend big on them you should get something decent that should last. Check the form factor of them too - I hear tales that some which carry the GU10 code don't fit all GU10 lamps...

There are 2 cap types. The popular and well known GU10, and the lesser known GZ10. The visual difference is that the GZ10 base (and holder) is square cap, while the GU has the corner (or edge) cut off (when looking at the profile).
This means GU will fit in GZ holders, but GZ10 lamps won't fit in GU10 holders.

The electrical difference is that GZe throws heat backwards while GU throws the heat forwards. This makes GZ unsuitable for recessed fittings. (You should also notice any GZ fitting will have vent slots on it)
You can get a problem fitting GU where GZ should go, if the front cover unscrews to access the holder, because the extra heat can "weld" the fitting together.
Also, if it has a glass cover, best to stick with a GZ lamp (bulb) :)

I have nine 50 watt halogen downlighters in my kitchen and the worst place to get these bulbs is Tool Station, they may be cheap but they only last 5 minutes.

I've been looking through this thread and i'm leaning towards the LED's but need a few more positives first to justify the extra expense.

Great Topic

Captain Stable said:
calumscott said:
I guess if you spend big on them you should get something decent that should last. Check the form factor of them too - I hear tales that some which carry the GU10 code don't fit all GU10 lamps...

There are 2 cap types. The popular and well known GU10, and the lesser known GZ10. The visual difference is that the GZ10 base (and holder) is square cap, while the GU has the corner (or edge) cut off (when looking at the profile).
This means GU will fit in GZ holders, but GZ10 lamps won't fit in GU10 holders.

The electrical difference is that GZe throws heat backwards while GU throws the heat forwards. This makes GZ unsuitable for recessed fittings. (You should also notice any GZ fitting will have vent slots on it)
You can get a problem fitting GU where GZ should go, if the front cover unscrews to access the holder, because the extra heat can "weld" the fitting together.
Also, if it has a glass cover, best to stick with a GZ lamp (bulb) :)

Well I've learned something! :) Thanks!

I was actually referring to lots of reports about actual GU10 LEDs which don't physically fit in the holders rather than being a different connecting cap. You only have to read a few of the reviews (particularly of the high lumen ones) on Amazon...

...I guess if your fittings are roomy you wouldn't have a problem but ones designed to be really neat might...

I put some good quality led's in my GU10's in the kitchen which would appear to be like yours Vossy (2x4), wife made me take them out because she didn't like the light they omitted...
I wasn't impressed either..

We/I just make sure we/I turn the lights off when room is empty to save energy, or at least they do when I'm in..... doubt they do when I'm at work... Grrrr

BB

Ta BB :thumb: I've decided to try some and went for these in cool white. Reason for decision, 30 day return if not happy, 5 year warranty and customer feedback. I bought 12 but the offer is slightly confusing, buy 6 bulbs get one free...I take that as 7 bulbs, but it's actually buy 6 pay for 5...happy either way. I know the beam angle is greater and perhaps the lumen count isn't as high as it could be, but tbh we bought the light fittings we have as they were on offer, 12 bulbs is overkill in our tiny kitchen so they should be o.k...we'll see :hmm:

These are the ones we have in the rooms I mentioned earlier, they have been in for ages and we haven't had a single problem. http://www.rselectricalsupplies.co.uk/l ... ite-mr6cw/

They are the cool white ones but they also do a warm white version. They give a fantastic spread of light, no different to the halogen ones they replaced IMO. I managed to pick them up for just under 9 quid a pop from my local independent electrical shop.

Well, they came...and they've gone straight back :lol: :roll: . Cool white is too clinical and blue for a kitchen, despite what they advise so I'll be losing out on P+P, both ways :roll: I'm a bit sceptical that the cool white was powerful enough so I'm not convinced about the warm white at this moment, lumens v beam angle. The colour difference was dramatic between our standard energy saver bulb and the LED's, one room blue white, one room yellow white...until you see them together you don't realise how great the difference is.

check out my earlier post for most liked type by customers , opposite to about everything you went for :cry:

check out my earlier post for most liked type by customers , opposite to about everything you went for
I did and not quite the opposite pittsy, I got the colour right, the angle, and the lumen count on the one I bought is higher than the one you linked, one of the only differences is the number of LEDS, I had been advised to go for less (of the forum), though yours are more energy efficient.
The main thing I keep getting told is that the life expectancy isn't great, hence purchasing with a guarantee which I couldn't do on the site you linked :thumb:

Well, the new bulbs arrived yesterday, warm white this time. I put 6 in one fitting and left the other as halogens for comparison. 1st impression, not as bright as the 50W halogens, but then again, when we got those I didn't like them as they were too bright compared to the previous 35W ones. The halogens are also narrower beam and it showed with light and darker areas. The LEDS are more of a flood light due to the wide angle which is great for coverage but ruddy murder to adjust the light properly :roll: I then replaced all the halogens in the other fitting and a funny thing is occurring. Looking into the room to the left is bare white washed wall ready for decorating, to the right mahogany kitchen units and you'd swear there are lower wattage bulbs to the right and that it's darker :wha: I'm wondering if this is because more light is being absorbed by the dark units...not a problem really as they'll be getting replaced with lighter ones this year. I was worried that the light from the LEDS would be too yellow but it's more a pastel yellow than the halogens which is more vivid so that's not really a problem. I'm still not convinced they're bright enough but to set a mood for relaxing they're great and we always have the under cupboard strip lights to illuminate the work surface if we need them (only just remembered we had those as I was typing :roll: :lol: )
I'll give it another day to make my mind up but swimbo has given them the o.k so we'll probably keep them :hmm:

Some of the LED GU10s have the LEDs prutruding significantly from the body (say 5-6mm) - this can be an issue with some light designs - particularly if they have a spring clip retention round the face of the bulb or a close fitting cover.
Also make sure you order the colour of light you want - natural/yellow is much softer, white can be pretty stark or even eerie!

I switched all the GU10 fittings to LEDs some time ago - mainly bought from China on ebay, have had 3 or 4 failures in about 30 bulbs - all the failures were quite quick and after that all have been good. The children's bathroom has one autochanging colour LED light!

Stuart

Latest posts

Back