Any other pipe smokers here?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eorling

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone else here enjoys smoking pipes. Like brewing, it is a relatively new hobby for me but I enjoy immensely - in moderation of course. The two hobbies seem to sit very well together I think, and will certainly make for some very enjoyable evenings this summer ;).

I'd like to hear about your favourite pipes and your preffered blends. At the moment I'm smoking Gawith Hoggarth's Cherry and Vanilla and trying a Gauntleys house belnd called Summer Punch. Very good stuff :).

Will.

Yes, I have been known to smoke a pipe from time to time, although mostly while on our narrowboat.

I have 3 pipes, an ordinary sort of briar which I got from a bric-a-brac shop for 50p, my late Uncle Tom's burr Meerschaum and a Churchwarden. I'd love a pipe like Gandalf and some of the characters smoke in the LOTR films, and tend to smoke cherry, coffee or rum blends which you buy loose out of the jar from the few remaining proper tobacconists.

Oooh a narrow boat! I live right next to a canal marina, they looks so lovely :). I have a pretty standard briar, am 18th C style clay pipe and a nice big Gandalf style churchwarden hehe. It's actually my favourite, really nice cool smoke full of flavour. I bought it from a craft pipe maker here. I posted a review too, you can see it here if you're interested :). For the price it's fantastic and very hobbit-esque. The other really ice LOTR style pipes are made by Vauen in the Netherlands and MacQueen pipes in Canada - but they are super pricey.

Definately very evocative of the books though, I'm such a geek :D!

Will.

Thanks for the link, I may be tempted to buy one of those.

While I've read the books several times and enjoyed the films, I'm not a geek. Although I seemed to recognise your avatar I've just had to google to find that the Eorling were the horse-lords of Rohan.

Narrow boating (or ditch crawling) does take some beating, if you're of a certain temperament. I often enjoy a nice cigar while chugging along at an average 3mph through England's green and pleasant land, and it's nice to moor up of an evening, get out another beer and stoke up a pipe. I couldn't be doing with marinas though, too many people and too many shiny boats which never go anywhere.

My Dad has smoked a pipe for the last 26 years, always St Bruno and I have always found the smell horrible. On the flip side I have walked past other pipe smokers and caught their 'trail' and thought the smell was quite wonderful.

Wez, St. Bruno is not an armomatic, and can be quite stifling for the non smoker I expect. I smoke aromatic's almost exclusively, as they are easier on the nose, girlfriend friendly, and do not require particularly frequent smoking to develop a good palate and enjoy their subtle flavours. That's my own experience of them anyway - I try not to smoke too often for obvious reasons.

Moley, yes both my avatar and username are LOTR based :). Eorling is the singular of Eorlingas, which is how the people of Rohan refer to themselves in their own tongue. Pipe smoking, and indeed brewing, are hobbies that belong to my "hobbit nostalgia activities" as my girlfriend would call them. I do enjoy the films and books and it's one of my many and varied interests, but I know almost nothing compared to some of the people I know - they pretty much eat sleep and breathe Tolkien hehe!

I must say I find the narrow boats chugging gently by very appealing, I am a waterman at heart, bred if not born, I have a 1970's Mirror dingy that I sail from time to time and I was a powerboat instructor with the RNLI for a few years - good times and sorely missed.

Will.

When I was an apprentice my boss smoked Erinmore, can`t tell you how much I hated that smell. Have not smelled it I`m pleased to say for a few years and hope I will nwever ever small it again.

Dear me that's a shame. I try to keep other people in mind as much as I can when smoking, though I rarely smoke in public anyway. It's a shame that it's got a negative attachment for you, easily happens I suppose - I can't stand Rod Stewart or Nora Jones - it's all they ever played in the resteraunt I worked in as a teenager.

Will.

Tip: Don't try to smoke a pipe while riding a motorcycle

I have a couple of my grandfather's old pipes, but I don't smoke them. I used to suck on one occasionally at work to make my colleagues laugh/boggle, and it had a pretty good flavour. No idea what he smoked in it all those years though.

Eorling said:
Moley, yes both my avatar and username are LOTR based :)
Yes, I found the avatar exactly where I thought it was, the first encounter with ‘Strider’ at the Prancing Pony.

oldbloke said:
Tip: Don't try to smoke a pipe while riding a motorcycle.
I remember my Dad saying that he took up a pipe because he could smoke it on a motorbike, but had to watch where the sparks went, and also because you can still smoke one upside down when it's raining.

Moley said:
oldbloke said:
Tip: Don't try to smoke a pipe while riding a motorcycle.
I remember my Dad saying that he took up a pipe because he could smoke it on a motorbike, but had to watch where the sparks went

Perhaps he didn't ride as fast as I used to. I spoze goggles would have kept the sparks out of my eyes.

i am a failed pipe smoker. i really wanted to take it up and spent a lot of time choosing a good pipe.

after trying loads of tobbaccos i found i couldnt smoke a pipe.

i was really sad about it. it was something i had wanted to do for a long time. i really thought i would make a great pipe smoker, sadly it wasnt to be.

i hope you enjoy your pipes.

What went wrong? It os hard to get started, especially if you don't have anyone to show you how to smoke nicely. I'm sure you could get it right with some help :).

I smoke a slightly different pipe... but certainly not what you're thinking! :nono: :nono:

I own two Shisha water pipes. They're pretty popular in the middle east, India and probably several other places as well.

At the moment, I've got two really nice flavours from Iran: Red Grape and Sweet Melon.

The smoke is very aromatic and the tobacco is coated in a syrup-like coating that actually STEAMS rather than burns. This coating is what gives the pipe the flavour.

It's rather comforting to hear the bubbles go while smoking it, but it's definitely a social thing to be shared amongst friends :)

Hookah-Khalil-Mamoon-Imhotep-L.jpg

This one looks somewhat like one of the ones I have.

I am also a Shisha pipe smoker. Its great to relax with mates and a few home brews. :drink:

i smoked a pipe for a good few years but gave it up about 20 years ago. Usually smoked Condor, occasionally stuff like Whisky Flake, or if I was up in the NW and feeling brave, Kendal Brown Twist. I must have had about 20 pipes or so but when I decided to give up I buried them on my allotment. Must have been deep as I have never found them :(

Back