Any Tips for Improving Head Retention

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alster

Reaction score
I'm really happy with the taste of my beers (various kits) sometimes slightly disappointed with head retention particularly when using tap water. Does anybody have any tips for solving this issue as using bottled water obviously increases cost.

a few easy ones - swill your glasses to get cleaning chemicals off, condition beer for at least 2 months (ok, maybe not so easy) - brew shorter than 23L to improve quality (will also increase the ABV,) use beer kit enhancer instead of white sugar, even better use 500g wheat malt 500g glucose instead of beer enhancer.

do what's easiest for you, they're all improvements.

How much sugar are you using for priming? Over priming can kill head retention. I use 3.5g per litre of beer.

Clean glasses are very important to head retention - it would be a shame to spend lots of energy on improving the way you brew to achieve better head retention, only to have it all undone by your glassware. To test the glass, rinse the glass in cold water, turn it upside down to let the water run off freely, then observe: if the water seems to climb to certain patches, the glass isn't properly clean. Give it a good scrub with a nylon scrubber then rinse and test it again.

Dennis

If you can get access to a large syringe pull up some beer from your pint then re-inject if quickly (aka a pocket beer engine), it will give you a tighter head which should last longer. The problem with kits is you get what your given, if you brew all grain you can add grains specifically to aid head retention, not a lot of help that really :lol:

About halfway through pouring a pint try increasing the distance between the bottle and the glass. Judge yourself how much of this is required. I find this also gives a creamier taste to the beer. :thumb:
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back