Anyone Tried a Generic Catering Urn?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You make sure it will boil not just heat the water. Some boilers only heat water to 95C. I know I made that mistake.

Replaceable element would be useful. Also you may benefit from replacing the tap to a ball valve.

Ah, yes. I hadn't spotted that feature, just saw the black tap.
You'd loose the sight glass. You can buy separate sight glasses similar to this which I've seen fitted to a tee piece behind the tap. Though that's more expense, it's a future upgrade option.

I have the 20l version converted to a heat exchanger but kept the tap and sight glass though its not much use TBH as its just a visual aid and not exact, if I mind mine was out by half a litre and it takes about 4 to 5 litres to get to min and you fill way past the max. 1500w element and its fairly decent.

Attachments

• 1592235540344286358845996503625.jpg
    1592235540344286358845996503625.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 161
I've got two of these a 20L and a 30L. I used to use the 20 as a HLT and the 30 as a kettle. I opened up the 30 and disconnected the thermostat so it developed a full rolling boll. Worked fine for dozens of brews, but I have since upgraded to a gas powered 70L kettle and switched the 30L to be the new HLT.

Which means I've got an old 20L with two 25mm holes where a tap and a thermowell used to be! I think I need to post them in the for sale forum, but I hadn't thought of selling it until I read this!

EDIT: Is it allowed to cross-link to the For Sale forum? 20L catering urn

Last edited:
Most urns can be modded to boil by moving the temp sensor. I bought a 40l buffalo for £85 and must of done over 200 brews on it by now.
Me too. I've got 2 X 40 Litre Buffalo's. One as a boiler and one as a HLT, The Boiler has been modified for a rolling boil and I must be on my 50th brew now with no problem. You gotta keep the plate above the element spotless thou.

Me too. I've got 2 X 40 Litre Buffalo's. One as a boiler and one as a HLT, The Boiler has been modified for a rolling boil and I must be on my 50th brew now with no problem. You gotta keep the plate above the element spotless thou.

Yes i recirculate, not good to boil floury wort in these. Wish i could get a 60l one.

Back