Apple Scatter for Electric Drill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeswax

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My first post, have moved to a house with a big apple tree and want to try making some cider. I've already got some equipment including a very sturdy honey press, as I'm a beekeeper. I don't have an apple scatter though and I don't want to fork out until I've had a go. I've seen some scratters that are simply a bucket and a bit for driving with an electric drill about �£25. Are they any good? If so can I just buy the bit? I've got plenty of 60Ib food grade honey buckets that I could use. I'll also have at least a couple of hundred weight of apples so I don't have to be too efficient and get every last drop of juice out. Or is there any alternative, can I smash them up on a sheet with a lump hammer for instance? btw. My press is pretty heavy duty (in a personal use sort of way), so I won't have trouble generating pressure for pressing.

Thanks for any advice and I'm sure I'll shortly have a few more questions....

There was a post here the other day.
A used a plaster mixer from wickes.he sharpened the blades and used a drill and a bucket.
Is that what you mean?

It's more like two blades - wouldn't want to have to sharpen one of those plater mixers...

It was me that posted regarding the plaster mixer, it really did work well. Took about 15-20 mins to process a big flexibucket full. If you are anywhere near Reigate, Surrey, i would be happy to loan you mine. A buddy of mine who runs an engineering firm did the sharpening. I reckon i agree, that it would be a pig of a job using the contents of a typical home tool box. I did also read that garden shredders can do the job, although the aperture may not be big enough for larger apples - meaning a lot of effort cutting them to size.

I did also think about making my own version of one of those shredder buckets - a length of threaded bar from wickes and a 8" strip of thin metal and you would be there.

Pulpmaster is the brand name of the electric drill attachment. Made by Vigo Ltd.
They're normally sold as a complete unit ie. blade, bucket and lid.
They do work pretty well...

You could always revert to the old ways - a baulk of timber approx 4 x 4, and 6 feet long.
Drill a hole laterally and inset a length of broomstick as a handle, and smash them up in a sturdy bucket...

How about banging them through the lawn mower? Would a bit of grass be a problem?

Latest posts

Back