Are some people just not meant to like wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCheekyMonkey

Reaction score
Have just started brewing again after a good few years, to say the least i`m no expert, my last brewing was back in the day when kits where very rough.

anyways, i received the woodeford wherry kit today and set about getting it up and running , no problems, decided i wanted to do some wine, never really been a wine drinker, me or the missus, but more a case of not really bothering with it than not liking it, or not understanding whats good and whats not.

anyways, nipped over to leyland home brew, had a quick word with one of the women over there, who pointed me to a connesoir pinot grioch (not sure of the spelling, little tiddly) so bought a couple of demi johns and the wine kit, got that up and running........................

went to asda, seen some little taser bottles 3 4 £4 so we thought, what the hell

got a red wine, rose (blossom hills) and a blossom hills pinot grioch chardonnay.................

what can i say they where atrocious! extremely strong (and dry).

the only upside is the missus is pizzled and HOT!

Am nopt being ignorant but i just dont think that we are wiine drinkers, or can anyone recommend a good drink?, they where all over 12% and i understand, the higher the alchohol the dryer it is, some maybe some somthing weaker, and sweeter?

cheers all (hic) !

currently enjoying a speckled hen!!!!!!!

TheCheekyMonkey said:
anyways, nipped over to leyland home brew, had a quick word with one of the women over there, who pointed me to a connesoir pinot grioch (not sure of the spelling, little tiddly) so bought a couple of demi johns and the wine kit, got that up and running........................

When I wen't I popped over to leyland the lass behind the counter didn't have a clue (boss was away at a wedding)! I was only asking for a champange and cider yeasts, she ended up with every wine yeast they had on the counter! :lol:

TheCheekyMonkey said:
Am nopt being ignorant but i just dont think that we are wiine drinkers, or can anyone recommend a good drink?, they where all over 12% and i understand, the higher the alchohol the dryer it is, some maybe some somthing weaker, and sweeter?

Riesling's are sweet- I prefer wines like Pouilly-Fumé and Chabilis!

To answer the question quickly yes, some people will never like wine as the acidity which is a major part in wine flavour is unpalatable to them :(

im not giving up lol, i`ll have a bash at anything, i know wwhen the wine is ready i`ll be more inclined to like it, as `ìve made it` wether its good or bad, but i`d like to think there is a wine out there that i could drink, except for mad dog 20/20 which i enjoyed as a teenager :lol:

will post back in a few weeks time when ive participated in it.

off to bed now, the wines really got to me lol

Try a nice little reisling or a mosel, look for a QMP (Qualitatswein mit predickat) wine or a Kabinett which are usually of good quality, being German they don't get great weather for ripening grapes so the alcohol content is lower and the fruit comes through . . . it does take a while to train a palate to appreciate dry full bodied wines . . . if you are looking for a nice soft easy drinking reds then have a look at the new world Merlot's, something from Chile would be a good example.

The strength of wine is all to do with how much sugar is in the grapes . . . if they have a warm hot summer then the wine is going to be stronger . . . As TS says the acidity and astringency is what really makes a wine, and until you become used to this you will not appreciate the drier full bodied wines.

Get a nice bottle of blossom hill rose white zinfandel mate, its very nice, the wife will love it, and its easy drinking, if ya not keen on wine, and i am, then you'll love this wine, but i think with red wine, i would rather drink sarsons vinegar!, but thats me! lol

falafael said:
i think with red wine, i would rather drink sarsons vinegar!, but thats me! lol
And yet those are the wines I love . . . The bigger the better. . . St Emillon Grand Cru, Barolos, Chianti Classico, Rijoa . Really big wines, with body and bags of fruit, dry as a nuns crotch, with enough tannin to sandpaper your ****.

Of course I also appreciate the really nice light delicate whites as well ;)

Aleman said:
falafael said:
i think with red wine, i would rather drink sarsons vinegar!, but thats me! lol
And yet those are the wines I love . . . The bigger the better. . . St Emillon Grand Cru, Barolos, Chianti Classico, Rijoa . Really big wines, with body and bags of fruit, dry as a nuns crotch, with enough tannin to sandpaper your ****.

:thumb:

lol, this just goes to show how different peoples tastes are, one thing about red wines though.....dont get bladdered on them...it takes ALL DAY to get over!!!

Probably why i no longer like red wines!!!! :D

davesiv said:
A nice glass of Chianti Classico with roast beef, you cant beat it.
:clap: :thumb:
A Glass!!??? You have got to be kidding!!

Never open a bottle and take a single glass out of it . . . . Unless like me you have 700ml glasses :lol:

A Glass!!??? You have got to be kidding!!

Never open a bottle and take a single glass out of it . . . . Unless like me you have 700ml glasses :lol:[/quote]

Mrs Siv loves it to aleman, i only get a glass SHE finishes the rest

Latest posts

Back