Arthur C Clarke born today in 1917 predicts the future in 1964

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
"Men will no longer commute they will communicate" I wish he had been right about our daily slog to work.

"The only thing we can be sure of about the future, is that it will be absolutely fantastic."
#OnThisDay 1917: Writer, futurist and inventor Arthur C Clarke was born.
In 1964, he appeared on Horizon and gave some astonishing predictions about the future.

Last edited:
I think Sunday is the only day of the week that has changed over the years, every fecker and there dog goes shopping for stuff they don't really need SUNDAY IS a family day

SWMBO hates me going shopping because all i do is moan about the dumb arses who block the isles as they chat to people or leave their trolleys blocking the isle while they wander off looking for stuff, she makes me sit in the car and wait for her to come out i then load the car, happy days ;)

I think Sunday is the only day of the week that has changed over the years, every fecker and there dog goes shopping for stuff they don't really need SUNDAY IS a family day

I used to work out of town and until late by the time i got home i couldn't be bothered going shopping so back then having the option to do the weekly shop on a Sunday was ideal.

I really dont get what you mean by "Sunday is a family day" we are not religious in any way so dont go to church on Sunday and we can see our family any day of the week why is Sunday so special?

I think years ago when most work was during the week and shops were shut (on Sunday) it was a day when most probably spent time with their family.
I've hardly spent any Sundays with my Mrs and kids for at least 15 years. No religion involved.

As above Chippy, quality family time which is a rare thing these days, it all changed with the latch key kids when both parents had to work

I bet most of todays kids would be shocked to hear back when we were kids mother stayed at home looked after the kids, cooked and baked and shopped while the husband went out to work, they got bye on one wage and that was in the day when most families had more than one child, they didn't spend money on takeaways every few days going to the chippy was a pay day treat, how times have changed.

Remember when fuel stations served fuel and the odd newspaper and packet of fags.
I fill the truck up every morning which takes a while and watch in disbelief as people queue up at the costa coffee machine then buy sandwiches, crisps and all sorts of junk food to eat on the way to work, get up 10 minutes earlier and make a brew and have some breakfast you lazy barstewards instead of blocking the pumps stopping those who need fuel from getting it just because you cannot be arsed making your own breakfast.

Rant over time for a beer :D

Back