Ashes to Ashes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubby_shaw

Regular.
Reaction score
In honour of the start of a glorious summer of cricket for England against the Aussies :pray:
I'll be brewing this today

Ashes to Ashes
40l OG 1.037 29 IBU

5kg Maris otter
250g Caramalt
250g Wheat malt
250g Flaked Maize
400g Glucose

40g Magnum hop pellets 90 min boil
50g Bobek 5% aa whole hops last 15 minutes
50g Styrian Goldings whole hops Hot soak

I will be splitting the batch in two and fermenting half with yeast propagated from bottles of Coopers Pale Ale, to represent the Aussies and half with good old English Nottingham Ale yeast :thumb:
Water treated, timer set brew on for 9am all being well :D

Have a great one TS

Love the yeast spliting idea :thumb:

All went Ok 'ish
I got 44L @ 1.035 instead of 40L @ 1.037, C'est la vie :lol:
I didn't intend to take any pictures but I was so impressed with the difference my water treatment is making to the clarity of the wort I had to share this :D

Photo-0074.jpg

I bought one of THESE to test my water with, then using the resulting information I can reduce the carbonate hardness to the desired level in this case 30 mg/l I then add a teaspoon of gypsum to the mash and teaspoon of gypsum and 1/2 a teaspoon of Epsom salts to the boil :thumb: It seems to work :D

Unfortunately as in the cricket it would seem that the Aussie yeast has the upper hand ;)
Also like the cricket I think the Aussie yeast was better prepared :lol:

Well i'll stick my neck out and say that the Aussie yeast will slow up significantly tomorrow, hopefully dropping in numbers quickly.

An update :grin:
Had a sneaky taster of these two beers today.
Both very nice :D
Both completely different beers which can only be down to the yeast :thumb:
The coopers ale yeast has left a beer with more body and maltiness and the hops come through later :party:
The Nottingham is hops all the way :thumb:

Quite a worthwhile experiment :D

Have you used the Coopers Pale Ale yeast before?
That was one of my favourite Aussie beers when over there. :)

Following a discussion with A T on chat I have noticed something else that is different between the beers. The head retention :shock:
Now this was something that I hadn't previously considered :hmm:
But considering that these two beers only differ in two ways (the yeast and the corny it is stored in) every thing else was the same, one brew split into two, same fermentation temp, same conditioning conditions, same serving temperature, same tap and beer line, same pressure in the corny and same glasses.
Here are some pictures, the Coopers yeast beer is on the left and Nottingham yeast on the right. The beer on the left was poured first.

Photo-0074-2.jpg

And after a few minutes

Photo-0075-4.jpg

Has any one else any experience of this ?

Back