Ay up another newbie !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkie

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've been dragged kicking and screaming into the modern world by joining your forum - and yes I did need my Missus to show us how to work it !!!!

Anyway, I've been brewing a few years, (all grain for year and a half), and absolutely love it.

I also dabble with cider making, and last year had some success with fruit ciders - more by luck than judgement, so I'll be looking for some top tips please guys.

Cheers Nik

Drinking Blue Moon
Conditioning
P51C Mustang - session bitter
Inominate Ale - ruby
PST - Porter

Welcome to this great forum m8, from a fellow newbie, i am looking into the all grain way ......

Hi Guys

Thanks, nice to feel welcome, and reference to the "dark side" is quite pertinent.
I've tried explaining beer making to mates and they still seem to think there's magic involved - who am I to dispell their beliefs??

Blue Moon recipe - hope you won't be disappointed, it's not a clone of the American Blue Moon (I just thought it were a good name for my beer - then googled the name after I'd made labels!!!).

Recipe is as follows - and if you think anything sounds wrong or iffy, please let us know, I won't be offended I need to be told, as I am still learning how to formulate a brew, and any improvements / suggestions are most welcome.

Blue Moon - quite a dark one to say the least.
Chocolate Malt 200 grams 2.6%
Pale Malt 6700 grams 87%
Crystal Malt, Dark 800 grams 10.4%

Galena Whole 12.2 % 90 mins 44 grams 81.5%
citra Whole 15 % 15 mins 10 grams 18.5%

Final Volume: 40 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.043
Final Gravity: 1.011
Alcohol Content: 4.1% ABV
Total Liquor: 54.7 Litres
Mash Liquor: 19.3 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 40.0034704254482 EBU
Colour: 91 EBC

Cheers
Nik

I was thinking it might be a clone of the American Blue Moon, never mind.

I havent started AG yet but I am pretty much ready to and will keep this recipe to give a go.

I dont have any experience of formulating recipes yet therefore I can't offer you any advice on it. I assume you have made it, does it taste good?

Hi Joe or is it Joey

Nope not a clone I'm afraid, and I've no idea what the American BM is like either, so mine's unlikely to be anything like it!

Made in April, down to the last 6 bottles now. As for taste, its a very dark one, quite bitter (more than your average session ale I think), and seems to go down easy enough.

Good to hear you're going all grain, I made kits on & off for years, and thought they were great - which they are. But someone suggested all grain because its infinitley variable and you can make it to your own taste, quantity etc. Not as convenient, but very satisfying.
So when you're ready go for it!

Cheers

Back