Bath Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckyeddie

Landlord.
Reaction score
My son lives no more than 30 yards away from the Merchant's Arms, a pub often described as 'The Finest Pub in Bristol'. I come down here at least 3 or 4 times a year, and never been in the place until tonight.

Bristol has been home to or associated with many famous people - John Cabot, Isembard Kingdom Brunel, Banksy, Captain Slow and me, for instance, so it's quite fitting for it to be associated with a brewery who produce some cracking beers. It's equally fitting that the brewery actually started life some place else - in this instance, Bath.

I'm talking about Bath Brewery, of course, and tonight I sampled three of their finest creations.

I started off with a pint of Festivity - a nicely balanced porter, rich and dark, with lovely coffee and vanilla notes but which allows a delicate hoppiness to come through.

The second offering was SPA, which thicko here couldn't work out that it actually stood for 'Special Pale Ale' until he was told. This was a delightful beer that I think would be a cracking session beer - the orangey peachy aroma just screamed out 'summer' - and it was fitting that the temperature at 10 O'Clock tonight when I tried it was still around 19C.

Last, but by no means least, was a very, very fruity bitter called 'Gem' - and a gem it is. The Goldings are there but not overpowering, and the long, long sweet finish was a delightful end to the night.

The brewery serve up 8 or 9 different brews - on my next visit to Bristol, I shall endeavour to sample some of the others. A word about the pub - great. An 'old style' pub with a tiny bar and a 'snug', packed out with locals. The landlord, John, was very friendly and we all had a cracking evening.

I need to get down that way to visit my family sometime, whereabouts in Bristol is this pub exactly?
Or, do you know which pubs in Bath are served by that brewery?

oldbloke said:
I need to get down that way to visit my family sometime, whereabouts in Bristol is this pub exactly?
Or, do you know which pubs in Bath are served by that brewery?

As you come towards Bristol from the Portway (A4) after going through the gorge and under the suspension bridge, take the exit left as if going towards Clifton. Get in the right hand lane. The road swings around to the right, signposted towards the city centre. As soon as you go around the corner, there's the pub. Turn immediately after it and there is a free car park (unusual for Bristol).

It's about a mile from Ashton Gate, Three quarters of a mile from the SS Great Britain, half a mile from Clifton, 30 yards from my son's flat :thumb: .

See website for map and list of all their pubs...

http://www.bathales.com/pubs/merchants-arms.html

The Bridge would be better for the hotel we often use in Bristol, but we'll likely get one in Bath next time so the Salamander or Graze might be good.

shouldnt it be warmley ales? always seemed strange that bath ales are based in bristol, its beer is available in loads of pubs in bristol and bath, and available at most asda superstores in the area,, worth popping in, you can get gem direct from them as a takeout if you have a party at home, done this many times, mind you its slightly different than the ale you get in a pub or bottle, they filter it for you so its drinkable straight away, turning it into a bright beer, still a cracking pint, we have a few microbreweries in and around bristol, i worked in cheddar ales a few weeks ago and took the owner( he is called Gem, honest) in a few of my HB's and we did a swap, mine for his, and he gave me great reviews on my AG which is a real morale booster, i had to lag his sparging vessel i thought i was in 7th heaven when he started a brew when i was there!, there is a beer festival there 17-19 june if anyone is interested, over 40 ales on sale including his, camping as well if you want, worth a visit.

I just moved back to london after spending a year in Bristol. Man I miss Bath ales! If any of you make the trip into Bristol then I highly suggest popping in to Zero Degrees which is right by the christmas steps. Its a great brewery in a good position (tasty pizzas too!).

I just ordered a few cases of Bath ales to the london house but was wondering if any londoners have ever seen it on tap in any pubs here? Its a longshot but Im hoping there is some small cosy pub somewhere with at least Gem on tap!

Latest posts

Back