Beer for Curry?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guillotine

Reaction score
OK now I brew my own beer I'm looking for recipes or tips on brewing a beer to go with my other culinary hobby; cooking hot curries! As curry is definitely a meal for beer instead of wine.

I was thinking a light/medium German Wheat beer, but i am not too sure about the hops, Citrus maybe?? I guess it has got to be nice and fresh to clear the plate rather then to complex.

Any feedback or experience is appreciated otherwise I am starting from scratch, as I usually brew dark beers and stouts.

Thanks

I am no expert but like a nice hoppy american pale ale with curry.

Favourite hops for me in US pale include Cascade which is citrussy (still cheap to buy), plus the following which all seem to be getting more and more expensive: Centennial, Amarillo, Simcoe, Chinook.

Agree, English or American IPAs go great with a curry, recently had Bengal Lancer with a meal out and it complemented it really well. A good lager though is still a fantastic option. Cant say I have ever had a wheat beer with a curry but I can imagine a nice clean citrussy one in the style of an American Wheat could work really well personally a more traditional wheat might be a bit heavy to go with curry.

+1 for the APA.
I made a New Zealand Pale Ale with 5 hops to go with a Chilli I had made and the fruity citrusy hops matched really well, goes especially well with home made guacamole including chillies and lime.

I don't know why people drink bland Indian lager with their curries or spicy food, may as well drink water to wash it down if you can't get decent beer!

I'm going to go rogue here and say that a Lamb Rogan goes really well with a porter or stout. Something about the tomato-ey flavours works really well with it.

I'm with you on that. Those richer meats with a big sauce, needs something a bot more industrial to match it, rather than to cut through it..

My go to drink for a curry has always been lager - preferably a Kingfisher or similar.

I've never considered a stout with a curry!

I have to stop coming here. I'm on a diet so I can run a half marathon like I used to do. All this talk about washing curry down with APA and porter is not helping my resolve.

I want something dry to cut through oily heat, so Saison all the way. Either that or a wheat beer ( or Dunkelweizen).

Well I guess there is no straight forward answer to this.

But I will have to test a stout now. Although I suspect it would work with an aromatic sauce, not so sure about a heavily spiced sauce.

Then maybe I will try and test some different types of beers a more scientifically, rather then just defaulting to a generic lager.

I have to stop coming here. I'm on a diet so I can run a half marathon like I used to do. All this talk about washing curry down with APA and porter is not helping my resolve.

Just embrace it! Beer and Curry is my favourite recovery meal after a hard trainning session on the bike :drink:

The heat and alcohol numbs the pain in the legs!!! and Beer is moslty water so its good for rehydration.

Another vote for saison here. Slight spice and refreshing dryness.

I had lamb vindaloo accompanied by a pint of ESB last night. Perfect match imho

Back