Beer in FV for too long?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmychippy

Reaction score
My beer has been fermenting in the FV for 17 days now as not had time to bottle. Is that a problem? Would prefer to leave till Monday ie 22 days. Beer is Brewferm grand cru.

jimmychippy said:
My beer has been fermenting in the FV for 17 days now as not had time to bottle. Is that a problem? Would prefer to leave till Monday ie 22 days. Beer is Brewferm grand cru.

No worries at all :)

3-4 weeks is fine, probably about the limit I would go to in primary but I wouldn't worry.

OK so finally bottled today and seemed like a good thing it has been in there 22 days! Quite clear and already carbonated! Fancied having a sip but Grand Cru instructions say wait 6 weeks aargh! As it was in FV for so long can I cut this down a bit to maybe 4 weeks?

Also as it seems quite carbonated already (and I added 1 teaspoon of sugar to bottles) should I cut down the time I leave it in the warm to carbonate before going out in the garage?

It seems a rather long time for an ale yeast fermentation. What temperature were you fermenting at & what was the final gravity?

22 days...I have just bottled a beer after 28 days. The higher the abv the longer it can stay in the FV. I wouldn't worry if I was you. Keep carbonating and conditioning tomes the same if you can. I have heard the Grand Cru can take 6 months to full mature!

Longest HB for me was 28 days but it was a 9% Tripel. Its all fine I think you only have to worry if you are lagering on your yeast bed for a few months. I have had some of the brewferm stuff take 3 weeks before I was happy it was down.

Good Luck!

Best conditioned in bottle for afew months as well!

D

Latest posts

Back