Beer kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHunter

Reaction score
Does anyone else ever get a slight film feeling in there mouth from there beer kits and how fo I prevent the same ?

Does the beer look, taste and smell ok otherwise? I guess it might be non fermentable sugars in the kits which lead to thicker mouthfeel, it's not really something I've noticed with the kits I've tried. The usual advice applies, scrupulous hygiene with the brew bucket, rinse at least twice if not using a no rinse sanitiser, and do not on any account open the lid 'just to check' after the yeast is added and before it is finished 😄 - except for a dry hop if using.

Diacetyl can leave a slick sort of taste in the mouth or a film on the tongue

Diacetyl​

Diacetyl is detected in flavor, aroma, and mouthfeel. It is often described as movie theater popcorn, buttered popcorn, buttery, toffee, buttermilk, butterscotch, or rancid butter. Oily, slick or creamy mouthfeel. Diacetyl is once again a by product of early fermentation. Generally, it is reabsorbed by yeast cells however it can be left behind by high flocculating yeast such as those originating from Britain, weak or mutated yeast, over or under oxygenating, and low fermentation temperature. Time and Temperature are the best ways to combat Diacetyl. A temperature rise near the end of fermentation, also called a diacetyl rest, provides a boost to yeast metabolism and encourages it to reabsorb diacetyl. Once again allowing your beer adequate time in contact with the yeast will allow it to clean up this fermentation byproduct.

I'm finding a lot of these kits taste a little bit samey tbh, I'm not sure if it's to do with the malt extract process or the fact that they all seem to come from Stowmarket so are all presumably from the same place, i.e. Munton's.

I bought three kits at the beginning of the year when ill health prevented me from doing my usual AG brewing: two Festival kits and a Wherry. All three have found their way down the drain without being fully consumed - the one that lasted longest was a Festival Landlord's Bitter, but even that was pretty dreadful. All had a nasty malt extract sort of tang.

Worth trying kits from different manufacturers I think. Mangrove Jack and Ritchies don't come from Munton's afaik. The MJ ones I've done have been good. Not done a Ritchies afaik but I've just had a Simply Yorkshire Bitter delivered. I do a kit once in a while, but I pimp it with a mini mash and some hops. 5 gallons that are quick and easy, to boost stocks.

Latest posts

Back