Beer like vinegar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm on a work trip (jolly) in the Cotswolds and at lunch had two very nice pints of Elmers bitter. Lovely stuff, if you're in the region, try it. Caramel, light hops, bags of flavour.

Then in the place were staying this evening they had on a local bitter called windrush (the name of the local river), hobgoblin, and brakspear Oxford gold. I had a pint of the gold and the windrush, both smelt of of vinegar. I tolerated the first but sent the second one back and got a g&t instead.

How does a pub get it that wrong? How on earth can two of three beers be off? And apparently the hobgoblin was as flat as a witches tit. This sort of thing gives real ale a bad name!

On my recent tour of a brewery the guy said that the unscrupulous landlord will pull every pint out of a keg. And try to make it last 9-14 days once opened. Flat stale beer after 7-9 really.

On my recent tour of a brewery the guy said that the unscrupulous landlord will pull every pint out of a keg. And try to make it last 9-14 days once opened. Flat stale beer after 7-9 really.

Too true!!

Well done on sending it back. :thumb: :thumb:

No-one should ever be frightened to send a pint back because many a landlord will still sell beer (especially to a stranger) that he knows only too well is "off" or "going off".

On the flip side, I was in head office in Dunstable the other day and stayed over as it had been a late meeting and I had nowt in the morning. Went to a pub there that was serving up absolutely perfect pints of Doom Bar. I had to have 5 just to be sure it was good.

I'd email North Cotswold Brewery and tell 'em the pub are selling their beer in dreadful condition. They may refuse selling their beer to the pub again. It's making them look bad and a small brewery is more likely to care than a big one.

No point in emailing Hobgoblin. They wouldn't give a monkeys.

Back