Belgian wheat or white beer extract recipe request

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivvo

Regular.
Reaction score
As above, I would like to try an extract recipe and I like the above types of beer. My equipment is limited to standard home brew kit and an 18 litre stock pot, any help gratefully received.

He certainly seems the 'go to guy' for wheat beer, I know he does ag, but does he do extract?
I'm not really set up for ag, nor will I have the time or sympathy from swmbo!

he has done a few extracts and he helped me with my wheat extract(sadly due to my boil size it didnt work that great but is still drinkable)

Boil size? Is that the volume that you actually boil?
I have read that people boil up in a stock pot then top up in the fv, almost like a kit, will the results not be that good with that method?

Rivvo said:
Boil size? Is that the volume that you actually boil?
I have read that people boil up in a stock pot then top up in the fv, almost like a kit, will the results not be that good with that method?

thats it, but my boil size was 5L for a 20L brew, meaning i had to use 100g of hops and 3kg of wdme to get the maths right. the method works if you have the right sized pot mine was 7L so the max safe boil was 5L
my brew day i used brewR phone software
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=46423&hilit=first+extract

Hello , you want wheat dried malt to make a belgian white (hoegaarden) around 3kg will do for a 23 litre brew . This is usually 50%wheat ,50% barley so will do on it's own .
I would use saaz hops you want around 20 ibu . Have a look for some software to check amounts (brewtoad , beersmith free trial and others)
You would want around 28g of rolled coriander seeds (use a rolling pin and a tea towel to roll em and crack em )
Also around 28g(dried) of bitter orange peel ( bake in oven to dry and make bitter)
Add both around 5 mins left of boil .
If you really want a good witbier use wlp400 yeast , lovely stuff , ferment i like 20c others like 22c for more fruitness .
Enjoy .

Thanks Pittsy,, I don't want to take up your time too much but have you got a step by step guide, I have looked but couldn't see one.
I only ask because I've not done extract before and as stated above only have a stock pot and home brew equipment.
Grateful if you have time to respond, thanks.

the fruity flavours never come left with a green apple notes. im still drinking it so its not that bad, it tastes better without the end of bottle swirl. the errors i made were down to me not doing my prep better i should of got a bigger pot and i didnt add the any spices or orange so was a little bland. it has not put me off i plan to do another ready for summer now iv got a new cooker to control the boil better and can borrow a big pot

Rivvo said:
Thanks Pittsy,, I don't want to take up your time too much but have you got a step by step guide, I have looked but couldn't see one.
I only ask because I've not done extract before and as stated above only have a stock pot and home brew equipment.
Grateful if you have time to respond, thanks.

I'd pick up a copy of BYOBRA or borrow a copy,by Graham Wheeler.

Adapt the recipe from pittsy to the method from wheeler.

I went from kits to extract (only did one) to ag using this book.

Do a search for ho's garters - done it twice, amazing beer :-)

I made something that was very palatable, using wheat DME, a bit of oat malt, tettnanger hops, some coriander seeds and dried curacao orange peel. I used Brewferm Blanche yeast. Link to post below. Scroll down a bit for the final recipe and a shot of the finished article (I changed the recipe from the initial post) .
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=39773

Latest posts

Back