Bending the rules

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeyboi

Landlord.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? What do you think? Personally I really like it. A stout/IPA🤑

IMG_1022.jpg

I feel like you get two for the price of your one. You get the IPA hoppyness first, followed by a the coffee/chocolate malt taste.

I feel like you get two for the price of your one. You get the IPA hoppyness first, followed by a the coffee/chocolate malt taste.

Don't get me wrong, I tend to like Black IPAs, it's just that one didn't work for me. I you want a good example of a black IPA take a look at @JFB 's recipe, it's posted in the recipes forum on here and it's an absolute belter.

Bending the rules?
What rules?????
Some people try to turn beer into the straightjacket disaster-dogs you see on Crufts! :twisted:
It's got be a certain "style". Oh, sorry that was close - but no medal for you.
It was too bitter/too dark/too hoppy/too sweet/too strong/not enough carbonation.
Or, of course, the opposite of any of these, depending upon the "judges", who have been on several beer assessment courses and can distinguish at least 23 different styles and at least 11 sub-categories within each one. And, of course, tell you precisely what is wrong with the beer you just drank. Even though you thought it was one of the best pints you ever had.
To hell with "rules", why not blend styles if it produces fine beer :)

the way we as humans progress is through the clash/merging of different viewpoints/boundaries.

be it fusion cuisine or a black ipa etc.

i've brewed stuff that doesn't fit in a category, and it's turned out to be far better than anything that sits in a particular category.

is it a porter or a stout or a RIS or a dipa? :doh:

who cares ? - the real question is ... does it taste good?

The main reason for the post was to start a conversation on a beer that I was drinking, which I was enjoying and is somewhat slightly unusual and to see who else has tried/likes it. Don't get hung up on the "rules" title

I LOVE a black IPA. Saddle Black from Purity at the minute is my fav! I keep trying my own recipes but for some reason none end up hoppy enough :/

The main reason for the post was to start a conversation on a beer that I was drinking, which I was enjoying and is somewhat slightly unusual and to see who else has tried/likes it. Don't get hung up on the "rules" title

I've had a hoppy stout - twas good - not that one though - something I picked up in belgium.

As for styles I regularly do brews in between them :grin:

eg... A wheatbeer with amarillo hops gives a bubblegum flavour :whistle:

Im a big fan of St Austell Proper Job and Ive got a case, on order, of Big Job.
Its the discription of the beer that annoys me. How can you have a " Dark India Pale Ale". Contradiction in terms.
Surley, it should be "Dark India Ale"

I love a black IPA, and I'll be bottling my latest one tomorrow. My favourite commercial examples are Zoji and Arcade Nation, but Proper Black is very decent.

A big thumbs up for me on this beer:thumb:
And of course rules are meant to be broken...:lol:

Williams Bros Ceaser Augustus is described as a Lager /IPA hybrid.
And its good,some of my beer can only be described as "brown" but it has a whack of taste

Back