Bent Kettle Brewing vs Untappd Ratings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shampoo

Reaction score
Not sure if you guys follow reddit, but theres been some hilarious drama around "Bent Kettle Brewing". Basically, some guy gave one of their beers a low-average rating and got this:

t677I71.jpg

The drinker posted the screenshot on reddit, leading to a mass of check-ins against Bent Kettle with low ratings.
As promised, he updated his description of the beer to "too salty". :lol:

In response, Bent Kettle posted this:

zTGVccr.png

Untappd have since asked users to stop generating spam negative reviews (that is a ****ty thing for people to be doing, despite what the Brewery did initially) but overall quite an amusing rollercoaster of events.

Ah, that'll teach 'em for peeing off a Redditor!

I used Untappd myself, but I find that I rate pretty much every beer between 3 and 4 stars unless they're really bad or really good. I reckon half the beers I rate get a solid 3.5/5.

The thing is that everyone's star rating benchmarks are different (plus star ratings are unable to express much nuance). Especially when things like tripadvisor ratings expect you to give 5* when a place simply does everything it was expected to do.

On untappd I try to use 2* as an enjoyable beer that I'd drink again. That then lets me give 5* to Westmalle Tripel, which I believe is fair. Others see things differently, and that's fine. I think everything on untappd averages out at about 3.75* anyway.

Back