Berry Identification

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncs

Landlord.
Reaction score
Can anyone identify these 2 berries, and can I do anything with them? I've found loads of trees with these on them.

0y6c

and

qixM

Top one looks just like my redcurrant bush, but they were over at least 6 weeks ago even up here in cold wet Yorkshire, so in Essex... Maybe a late fruiting variety.
Makes decent wine especially mixed with a bit of something else, rassies and/or bramble

The other one, the leaves are wrong for blackcurrant (and they're over, here, too)
Trying to remember what the leaves are like on blackthorn (sloes)

top one looks like red currants right shape leaf and colour. But dont quote me on it I'm no expert.

top ones a Guelder Rose, berries not suitable for eating....

second one is a Viburnham ( I think ) again not suitable for eating

oldbloke said:
Top one looks just like my redcurrant bush, but they were over at least 6 weeks ago even up here in cold wet Yorkshire, so in Essex... Maybe a late fruiting variety.
Makes decent wine especially mixed with a bit of something else, rassies and/or bramble

The other one, the leaves are wrong for blackcurrant (and they're over, here, too)
Trying to remember what the leaves are like on blackthorn (sloes)

Beat me to it. I think you are right about the sloes too right shape leaf. Again disclaimers

Always the way wiith berries if you are not 100% sure stay away from them. I wont eat any wild berries except Blackberries, wild strawberries and elderberry. Hard to go wrong with that

piddledribble said:
top ones a Guelder Rose, berries not suitable for eating....

second one is a Viburnham ( I think ) again not suitable for eating

not berry good then lol

Ok, so the first one is Guelder Rose, not poisonous but tastes of cough mixture

and the second is Privet, which is poisionous. I think I'll avoid them both :cry:

Loads of laurel berries this year. Sadly they're not edible as is most of the plant. As for the gelder rose (viburnum opulus), they are edible in small quantities. Too many can cause vomiting and the s***s.
Personally I wouldn't eat either.

J

Latest posts

Back