Bhut Jolokia - The hottest chilli in the world...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbob

Regular.
Reaction score
I have just taken delivery of some of these beasts, about 8-10 whole dried peppers. It advises wearing gloves AND a dust mask when preparing them, grinding to a paste and using a small amount to add intense heat to any dish...
Now, what to do with them? Not this obviously....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tRq8ExAHzk :doh:
They come in at over 1,000,000 Scoville units, thats three times hotter than a Habanero!! :shock:

Really don't know yet...as they're Indian I'll have to try a curry, but only using less than a quarter of one powdered they're going to last a LONG time

Try 'em in Harissa paste. I make a simple one using garlic, olive oil, toms, and Naga's. Each time you take a tablespoon out to "ramp up" a curry, just drizzle a little oil on what's left in the jar. It'll last yonks, and is great to cook with. TBH, most of the dried ones I've bought on EBay were a bit of a let down.

BC I got these from the South Devon Chilli Farm, along with a big selection of dried Mexican chillis so I can get my tex-mex BBQ summer going. Bring on the man vs ribs and sticky sauces and salsas etc

A couple of summers back i grew some of these along side some (comparatively mild) Cayenne peppers when i went through my chilly growing phase.

I decided to make a curry with them. Not something i will ever do again. As a person who has a reasonable to high pain threshold and a stubborn git when it comes to visiting doctors etc, i genuinely considered going to hospital that night, possibly even via ambulance. The pain was horrendous. I wont go into details.

I love and can regularly eat very hot foods but i overstepped the mark with these.

Bhut/Naga Jalokia == Chemical weapon.
Bhut/Naga Jalokia != Food.

Watch the youtube vid I posted!!

I regularly eat very spicy food, we lived in Thailand 3yrs and built up a high threshold, eating papaya salad with up to 10 raw bird eye chillis. Last year I made our favourite Thai dish with one full habanero, seeds and all. Have to say it wasn't pleasant. I'll be treating these with respect I assure you

I put one into a bottle Lidl sherry. After about a month it's levely :D

I had the limited edition curry from Sharwoods. Pretty good stuff. I hear the Indian army use Jolokia chillis in their anti-personel spray.

Apparently the butch t trinidad scorpion chilli is hotter than the bhut. Dont fancy trying a comparison :lol:

I've eaten "hot sh*t" for the last 30 odd years (every day with garlic too). Hottest I ever had were the Dorset Naga's in their raw form. Last year I had 49 varieties growing. This year I have @ 19 .... mostly Thai Birdseye, Habs, and Naga's. Dried stuff is great as a "condiment", but for cooking ya need to go down the paste route. Just saying ;-)

Dave

Bitcaster said:
I've eaten "hot sh*t" for the last 30 odd years (every day with garlic too). Hottest I ever had were the Dorset Naga's in their raw form. Last year I had 49 varieties growing. This year I have @ 19 .... mostly Thai Birdseye, Habs, and Naga's. Dried stuff is great as a "condiment", but for cooking ya need to go down the paste route. Just saying ;-)

Dave

I have eaten those Dorest naga's raw out the pack and rehydrated, nothing on that monster of a curry I had. :eek:

I've eaten one, I'd bought some from an indian market.
We were having a few beers like, started off with everyone taking little nibbles. Then someone went and took a half of one.

"bugger it, in for a penny in for a pound" bit into a whole one and started chewing.

I've never experienced heat like it, felt like my eyes were melting, I ran out into the garden because I was certain I was going to vomit just pleading "OH GOD! SOMEONE GET ME SOME MILK!" just wretching, tears streaming from my eyes, amazed my nose didn't start bleeding.

I've never washed my hands so thoroughly either.

I like hot food but that was unreal.

Our local curryhouse does sommat called Katmandu Masalla...its got whole toasted birds eye chillis in it about 30 per portion. Its really hot ****. ..big style...certainly very tangy. ..the following mornings farts are horrendous and the ear piercing screams comming from me on the bog are like a banshee. .Not having another one of them again...

:lol: :lol: we was at at a dectecting rally once one of the lads was daring people to eat some this big mad said yehhhh i can eat owt he had a big bite started chewing it :doh: bab idea he out the tent in serious pain lol he had milk etc he was ill next day day after he went home :rofl: :rofl:

Latest posts

Back